F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 3-Series Sedan / F32 4-Series Coupe Forum > Help me decide

Yesterday, 08:09 PM   #1
Fronzdan
Enlisted Member

Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

Help me decide

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Ok I haven't taken delivery of my 335 yet...in fact I had been waiting forever for it to arrive. It wasn't a special order, just what the dealer already had coming. In the meantime, I looked at a couple other dealers for alternative deals. I now have two possible...both the same major options, color etc with some different minor options and access. The MSRP on both are both essentially the same

Here's the big diff. Car 1, the original I put some $$ down on is a 6MT. Car 2 has the Sport Auto. I wanted the 6MT and have always driven stick. However, The automatic is $650 less sell price and a better discount.

Should I let $650 sway me away from the 6MT?
      Yesterday, 08:20 PM   #2
Alpine435i
First Lieutenant

Drives: 435i

Go with what you originally wanted. I can't speak for your specific circumstance, but I can't imagine $650 to be enough of a factor to really make a difference.
      Yesterday, 08:34 PM   #3
OC40
Major

Drives: 335i MSport with MPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine435i
Go with what you originally wanted. I can't speak for your specific circumstance, but I can't imagine $650 to be enough of a factor to really make a difference.
This. $650 isn't worth it.
      Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #4
TBLM435
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

No way, not if you really want the 6MT!
      Yesterday, 09:26 PM   #5
paulbrenneman
Enlisted Member

Drives: Mineral Grey 335i M-Sport ZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan
Ok I haven't taken delivery of my 335 yet...in fact I had been waiting forever for it to arrive. It wasn't a special order, just what the dealer already had coming. In the meantime, I looked at a couple other dealers for alternative deals. I now have two possible...both the same major options, color etc with some different minor options and access. The MSRP on both are both essentially the same

Here's the big diff. Car 1, the original I put some $$ down on is a 6MT. Car 2 has the Sport Auto. I wanted the 6MT and have always driven stick. However, The automatic is $650 less sell price and a better discount.

Dont get me wrong, the zf 8-speed is unbelievably good - it and the M-DCT are the only transmissions I've driven that I'd put on the same level of preference as the good ole manual - but you have to stick with what you really want (pun intended). If you go with a compromise I bet there would always be a part of you that would regret it. On the other hand, if you decide you dont really care that much, the 8-speed will not disappoint. Either way you'll be getting a sweet ride - congrats!
paulbrenneman is offline   United_States
      Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #6
alpinweiss 335i
Colonel

Drives: '13 f30 335i 6MT M-Sport

Garage List
2013 f30 335i  [5.00]
2012 e92 M3  [5.00]
2013 f30 335i  [4.75]
2006 e90 330i  [5.00]
2003 e46 330xi  [4.00]
The auto is a much better transmission. Still, it is no replacement for the manual. $650 will buy you a lot of fun in the manual, for the life of the car. A pretty cheap price IMO.

If you are indifferent, or want to try auto for a change, this is the one to have.

FWIW, my first f30 was auto, and I sold it to get the manual I currently have. I am very happy with that decision. I won't lie, sometimes I miss the sport auto with the paddles. Maybe 20% of the time. But the other 80%, I feel at home with the manual. And the manual transmission in my f30 is the best BMW manual transmission I have ever experienced, in more than one way.
e92 ///M

f30
alpinweiss 335i is offline   United_States
      Yesterday, 09:35 PM   #7
alpinweiss 335i
Colonel

Drives: '13 f30 335i 6MT M-Sport

Garage List
2013 f30 335i  [5.00]
2012 e92 M3  [5.00]
2013 f30 335i  [4.75]
2006 e90 330i  [5.00]
2003 e46 330xi  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrenneman View Post
Dont get me wrong, the zf 8-speed is unbelievably good - it and the M-DCT are the only transmissions I've driven that I'd put on the same level of preference as the good ole manual - but you have to stick with what you really want (pun intended). If you go with a compromise I bet there would always be a part of you that would regret it. On the other hand, if you decide you dont really care that much, the 8-speed will not disappoint. Either way you'll be getting a sweet ride - congrats!

Stick with what you want. I like that!
e92 ///M

f30
alpinweiss 335i is offline   United_States
      Yesterday, 10:43 PM   #8
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
The auto is a much better transmission. Still, it is no replacement for the manual. $650 will buy you a lot of fun in the manual, for the life of the car. A pretty cheap price IMO.

If you are indifferent, or want to try auto for a change, this is the one to have.

FWIW, my first f30 was auto, and I sold it to get the manual I currently have. I am very happy with that decision. I won't lie, sometimes I miss the sport auto with the paddles. Maybe 20% of the time. But the other 80%, I feel at home with the manual. And the manual transmission in my f30 is the best BMW manual transmission I have ever experienced, in more than one way.
Never owned an AT in my life, but I'll say the F30 6MT is the best manual I've driven.
      Yesterday, 11:15 PM   #9
newoldbeemer
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 F30 328i

You won't enjoy an automatic if you're a "manual" guy. I still yearn to go back to manuals sometime, but automatic for now! Maybe my second car - if I get one - will be a manual (a Miata perhaps).
      Yesterday, 11:21 PM   #10
pflau
Enlisted Member

Drives: 328i xDrive

I tried to shift the AT manually and its just more trouble than its worth. The most annoying thing is Im never sure what gear Im at and I can just skip a gear. With a manual I just touch the shifter and I know what gear and I can always go from third to fifth or fifth to second directly instead of trying to count how many times I click the shifter. Not to mention with 8 gears I can never keep track.
pflau is offline   United_States
      Yesterday, 11:58 PM   #11
MickAv8r
Enlisted Member

Drives: '14 328ix EBII in production

Agree go with your gut. I've driven a stick for the past 19 years. I went with the Sport auto because my commute and traffic dictates it - I'm just sick of stop and go and rowing my own and the stellar reviews of the ZF trans made my decision even easier. If I only had to drive across town vs 38 miles one way the decision might have been different.
      Today, 12:05 AM   #12
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant

Drives: vroom

Don't do it to save 650. Only do it if you decide you want the AT

(It's my first AT in a LONG time and I love it)
      Today, 08:06 AM   #13
s0nu
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 F30 328i BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflau View Post
I tried to shift the AT manually and its just more trouble than its worth. The most annoying thing is Im never sure what gear Im at and I can just skip a gear. With a manual I just touch the shifter and I know what gear and I can always go from third to fifth or fifth to second directly instead of trying to count how many times I click the shifter. Not to mention with 8 gears I can never keep track.
I have this same annoyance.

I have that 8AT and dont shift it manually ever. If i need the transmission to hang i just throw it over to DS and thats it. I definitely miss the 6MT aspect of the E92 I had and, even though the 8AT is great, I may go back to 6MT with my next car.
[BSM 2004 330CI E46 6MT ZHP]
[Silver 2000 MBenz ML320]
      Today, 08:38 AM   #14
Quakered
Private First Class

Drives: BMW 328 Tourer F31

If you want to save money, get a Kia.....
Quakered is offline   England
      Today, 09:32 AM   #15
CK335iMSport
Private First Class

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post

I agree with what most have said, it's probably best to go with your first choice, don't let a measly $650 sway you when you're looking at a sub $60K car.

I will say though, that I have mostly owned manual transmissions on "sportier" cars that I've owned, but decided to give the 8AT a shot with this car, and truly haven't regretted it for one second. Just my own $.02...

Good luck with choosing, it'll be a great car either way.
2014 335i M Sport - Mineral Grey/Coral Red, Nav., Premium, HK, MPE, 8AT. Mods: 20" Velgen VMB5 Gloss Black Wheels on Hankook's, Bilstein B8 Struts/H&R Sport Spring combo, M-Performance black kidney grilles, IND Distribution color-matched reflector inserts and key hole cover.