F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 3-Series Sedan / F32 4-Series Coupe Forum > Any Ideas--New Key
Bimmertech

11-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
DJax
Enlisted Member

Drives: 328D, 997

Any Ideas--New Key

Did a forum search but couldn't come up with anything specific...

Purchased a new F30 key (for 2014 328D) from BMW dealership ($290.00 standard 3 button key). Because I didn't have the car with me when I picked up the key, they said:

Do not start the car. Place all other keys out of car's range.

Place new key on dash board and wait two minutes for the key to activate.

Pretty simple!!! Right!...no go...

Any ideas how to get the key to work?

Thanks...

Djax
      11-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
dwalls90
Captain

Drives: F30 328i M Sport

I have no experience with this, but there have to be more complicated activation/pairing instructions than this to register the key I would imagine.
      11-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Anodite10
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: with a seat belt on

Maybe try holding the key against the picture of the key on the steering column?
Anodite10 is offline   South Africa
      11-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #4
tdizzle
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalls90 View Post
I have no experience with this, but there have to be more complicated activation/pairing instructions than this to register the key I would imagine.
+1, there has to be something more complicated, unless they did it already.

I'd think it has to be programmed to the VIN or something specific to your car, but not sure they already did that. Otherwise you could do this with your key to any car.
tdizzle is offline   United_States
      11-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
raleedy
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F10 528i MY 2013

There is an incantation. They should have given to you.
raleedy is offline   United_States
      11-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
DJax
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
There is an incantation. They should have given to you.

Thanks. That's a big help.
      11-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
DJax
Enlisted Member

Instructions: Programming New Comfort Access Remote 2014 F30 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Maybe try holding the key against the picture of the key on the steering column?
Revise Instructions 11/26/13

Thanks Anodize...

Actually, I did that and a bit more and it worked.

Here's what I did.

Instructions: Initializing/Programming New Comfort Access Remote 2014 F30 328d

MOVE ALL OTHER KEYS OUT OF VEHICLE RANGE BEFORE PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE.

1.) Hold the new remote flat against the pictograph of the key on the steering column. i.e., backside of the remote against the key pictograph so the button side of the remote faces the center of the car.

2.) While holding the key in that position with foot on the brake pedal press the start/stop button.

3.) Car starts and the remote is now initialized. All remote functions work.

Last edited by DJax; 11-26-2013 at 11:30 PM.
      11-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Mobster1983
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJax View Post
Thanks Anodize...

Here's what I did.

1.) Hold the new remote flat against the pictograph of the key on the steering column. i.e., backside of the remote against the key pictograph so the button side of the remote faces the center of the car.

2.) While holding the key in that position with foot on the brake pedal press the start/stop button.

That's a little disturbing that you can activate a key like that. So anyone can just get a blank key fob and pair it to a random F30? I hope they had already programmed it at the dealer.
      11-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
e90im
Brigadier General

Drives: f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
That's a little disturbing that you can activate a key like that. So anyone can just get a blank key fob and pair it to a random F30? I hope they had already programmed it at the dealer.
They must have.

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
e90im is offline   United_States
      11-26-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Anodite10
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: with a seat belt on

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJax View Post
Thanks Anodize...

Here's what I did.

Awesome, glad it worked out.
Anodite10 is offline   South Africa
      11-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #11
OC40
Major

Drives: 335i MSport with MPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im
Quote:
They must have.
Agree. The dealer probably programmed ahead of time.
      11-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
raleedy
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F10 528i MY 2013

Just out of curiosity, how did you get into the car to do all that? I assume that it either was unlocked already, or you had another remote that you used to unlock it. In either case, doesn't that put the car in a state in which the other remote -- the one used to unlock it -- is primary? Would it have to be present, then, for you to activate the new one? That would limit a person's ability to activate an unauthorized device.

For years BMW has made such a big deal about the limited number of key replacements, the difficulty of getting one, and the security of the WFS immobilizer, that this whole activation thing seems completely out of character.

UPDATE: Now I see the instruction about putting other keys out of range. So I'm guessing that the key you bought was already paired to the car's specific ECU (for engine start) and that the activation procedure was for the remote lock/unlock/alarm functions.

Last edited by raleedy; 11-26-2013 at 10:38 AM.
raleedy is offline   United_States
      11-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
DJax
Enlisted Member

Quote:
I thought about that to. Actually, the dealer does no programming at all.

To order a key you have to give them the last 7 of the VIN. I had to show my DL to even though they know me. They match the names to the VIN.

The extra keys are special ordered from BMW. Takes about 2 days to get them. They are not stocked locally. The key comes in two parts -- each in a separate sealed cardboard envelope -- the transmitter (with buttons) and the Valet key that fits into the transmitter. They cut the Valet key based on the VIN. This gets you into the glove box and you can use it for emergency door unlock.
      11-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
DJax
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
Just out of curiosity, how did you get into the car to do all that? I assume that it either was unlocked already, or you had another remote that you used to unlock it. In either case, doesn't that put the car in a state in which the other remote -- the one used to unlock it -- is primary? Would it have to be present, then, for you to activate the new one? That would limit a person's ability to activate an unauthorized device.

For years BMW has made such a big deal about the limited number of key replacements, the difficulty of getting one, and the security of the WFS immobilizer, that this whole activation thing seems completely out of character.

UPDATE: Now I see the instruction about putting other keys out of range. So I'm guessing that the key you bought was already paired to the car's specific ECU (for engine start) and that the activation procedure was for the remote lock/unlock/alarm functions.

Right...the car was unlocked and the other other keys were out of range. (I just revised the above instruction to include that).

When I purchased the 8D it came with two keys. I wanted an extra to keep in my office as a 'just in case' In the past this has saved my butt more than a few times.

The key I bought at the dealer last Friday was in two parts. The VIN was cut into the Valet key by BMW not the dealer. I was told the dealer doesn't not inventory keys.

All I know is that the transmitter key didn't work when I pressed any of its buttons. I don't know if there was any ECU coding performed on the internals. It had to be initialized.

So I went through the procedure mentioned above and it works just fine. Used it today.