F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires > A list of 20" wheels with the proper fitment
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
ghostchili
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Milwaukee

Posts: 158
iTrader: (0)

A list of 20" wheels with the proper fitment

We should make a list and update it with the manufacturer of the 20s/their offsets/and tire sizes that look proper and that don't rub. I am on the fence between the 20" Velgens or waiting on the 19"s due very soon.
The 20 set up is 245/35/20 front for 20x9 and 275/30/20 for the rear 20x10.5. I'm trying to find the offsets. The A few guys have pics of this setup and it looks good in most pics. On the other hand a lot of the 20s look a tad oversized and make the f30 look like a matchbox car.
Does anyone else recommend the 20" for the f30?
ghostchili is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Rossifumi
Major
 
Rossifumi's Avatar
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Europe

Posts: 1,403
iTrader: (0)

I have 20" wheels but I'm looking at selling them and going to 19" wheels. I want a tad more comfort (I'm lowered on coils too). The car looks amazing on 20's though, doesn't look too big at all. But a nice set of 19's with a good drop look fine too.
Rossifumi is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Capoeirista Extraordinaire!
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex! Or running your plates...

Posts: 9,166
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostchili
We should make a list and update it with the manufacturer of the 20s/their offsets/and tire sizes that look proper and that don't rub. I am on the fence between the 20" Velgens or waiting on the 19"s due very soon.
The 20 set up is 245/35/20 front for 20x9 and 275/30/20 for the rear 20x10.5. I'm trying to find the offsets. The A few guys have pics of this setup and it looks good in most pics. On the other hand a lot of the 20s look a tad oversized and make the f30 look like a matchbox car.
Does anyone else recommend the 20" for the f30?
I think that depending on the style of the wheel, 20's are a must. When I went from 403's to Avant Garde 355M's, I finally felt like the car looked right. The 3-Series isn't a small car; undersized wheels don't do it any favors. Again, this all depends on the design of the wheel. Some 19's look really good on the vehicle.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
LAwolverine
Second Lieutenant
 
LAwolverine's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles / Orange County

Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I think that depending on the style of the wheel, 20's are a must. When I went from 403's to Avant Garde 355M's, I finally felt like the car looked right. The 3-Series isn't a small car; undersized wheels don't do it any favors. Again, this all depends on the design of the wheel. Some 19's look really good on the vehicle.
open wheels such as the M5 reps look great at 20" whereas i think mesh wheels look just fine at 19"
__________________
2013 328i M Sport Mineral Grey/Coral Red
LAwolverine is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Capoeirista Extraordinaire!
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex! Or running your plates...

Posts: 9,166
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwolverine View Post
open wheels such as the M5 reps look great at 20" whereas i think mesh wheels look just fine at 19"
I totally agree. The 19" mesh ZCP's fit the E46/E9X M3's perfectly, for example, while I felt that some of the 20's mounted to that car looked oversized.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
dcg71
Captain
 
Drives: F30 335i Sport BSM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 830
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I totally agree. The 19" mesh ZCP's fit the E46/E9X M3's perfectly, for example, while I felt that some of the 20's mounted to that car looked oversized.
I dont think the style has anything to do with it for that example. 20's on the e46/e9x look oversize, because they are oversize for those models. To fit them you need to upsize the overall wheel and tyre diameter (and ruin the proportions of the car). The F30 comes from the factory with an overall diameter large enough to support a 20' wheel. It's designed to handle it.

Last edited by dcg71; 10-09-2013 at 03:08 PM.
dcg71 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
Sedan_Clan
Capoeirista Extraordinaire!
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex! Or running your plates...

Posts: 9,166
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
I dont think the style has anything to do with it for that example. 20's on the e46/e9x look oversize, because they are oversize for those models. To fit them you need to upsize the overall wheel and tyre diameter (and ruin the proportions of the car). The F30 comes from the factory with an overall wheel/tyre diameter large enough to support a 20' wheel. Its designed to handle it.
Style has everything to do with it, as does the car itself. A 19" mesh wheel like the OEM ZCP has a different visual effect than a 19" wheel with a lip/step-lip. A 20" BBS LM, for example, affects the way an E92 M3 looks in a different way than a 20" non-lipped, flat faced wheel will; the latter often looking a tad too big depending on the design. On the F30, the 19" 403 wheel looks undersized to me while the 20" 405 looks oversized, but a 20" Avant Garde looks perfect (..and it's all in the design). Regardless, it's a subjective thing (..and I used the above examples from personal experience with the cars/wheels mentioned).

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 10-09-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
PabloK
Lieutenant
 
PabloK's Avatar
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 526
iTrader: (0)

I have oem style 373 (650 m sport)

245/35/20
275/30/20

Stock suspension

Front tires are rubbing on the inside front plastic when your turning and hit a bump. Another member had the same setup on H&R springs and mentioned no rubbing.... I don't see how that's possible, it will rub too much.
Attached Images
 
PabloK is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Capoeirista Extraordinaire!
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex! Or running your plates...

Posts: 9,166
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloK View Post
I have oem style 373 (650 m sport)

245/35/20
275/30/20

Stock suspension

Front tires are rubbing on the inside front plastic when your turning and hit a bump. Another member had the same setup on H&R springs and mentioned no rubbing.... I don't see how that's possible, it will rub too much.
Maybe his drop is giving him enough camber to clear the inner plastic. All he needs is a mere 5mm of clearance.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
AMJAM
Captain
 
AMJAM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: What is the Matrix

Posts: 811
iTrader: (0)

I have Octane wheels which are 20x8.5 et36 and 20x10 et 42. Tyres 245/30/20 and 255/30/20 I am lowered on BC Racing Coilovers at my height there was no way a bigger rear tyre fitted the 275/30/20 was wedged against the guard.
The front offset could easily go out a few mm but the rear is completely flush
Attached Images
 
__________________
2013 Alpine White 328I M Sport ARRIVED
AMJAM is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
Capoeirista Extraordinaire!
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex! Or running your plates...

Posts: 9,166
iTrader: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJAM View Post
I have Octane wheels which are 20x8.5 et36 and 20x10 et 42. Tyres 245/30/20 and 255/30/20 I am lowered on BC Racing Coilovers at my height there was no way a bigger rear tyre fitted the 275/30/20 was wedged against the guard.
The front offset could easily go out a few mm but the rear is completely flush
I really dig your car's profile.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #12
ghostchili
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Milwaukee

Posts: 158
iTrader: (0)

Looking at the pics you guys posted the 20's look just about perfect. I think I'm leaning hard in the direction of the Velgen gunmetal 20's for my EBII 335. I have DHP so if I have the kids in the car I'll set it to comfort. I have an xdrive and I'm dropping it with H&R springs. It will give me 1 finger gap all around.
ghostchili is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
AMJAM
Captain
 
AMJAM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: What is the Matrix

Posts: 811
iTrader: (0)

Here is my car on 19's for comparison
Attached Images
 
__________________
2013 Alpine White 328I M Sport ARRIVED
AMJAM is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
MIAMI-M3
Private
 
Drives: 08 aw m3
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: miami, florida

Posts: 80
iTrader: (0)

I went with Velgen Wheels 20x9 et 35 20x10.5 et 45 w 245-30-20 / 275-30-20 lowered on BC Coils.

MIAMI-M3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #15
ghostchili
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2014 335i xdrive
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Milwaukee

Posts: 158
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAMI-M3 View Post
I went with Velgen Wheels 20x9 et 35 20x10.5 et 45 w 245-30-20 / 275-30-20 lowered on BC Coils.

It looks like the way I want it. Looks like the other car I saw with this set up went with 245/35/20's in the front but his rears are the same as yours.
ghostchili is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Vitoco
Captain
 
Vitoco's Avatar
 
Drives: F31 328i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden

Posts: 685
iTrader: (0)

Here's my F31 on a square setup of ATS Racelight wheels on Michelin PSS.
Dim. 245/35R20 8.5 ET35
Attached Images
 
__________________
Glacier Ag. F31 328iA M Sport oct. 2012
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | Park Assist | ACC Stop&Go | Perf. Parts |
Vitoco is online now   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      10-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
H4f1d
New Member
 
H4f1d's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 320i '11, 435i '14
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Indonesia

Posts: 8
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJAM View Post
I have Octane wheels which are 20x8.5 et36 and 20x10 et 42. Tyres 245/30/20 and 255/30/20 I am lowered on BC Racing Coilovers at my height there was no way a bigger rear tyre fitted the 275/30/20 was wedged against the guard.
The front offset could easily go out a few mm but the rear is completely flush
My man, this is by far, the best 3 series mods I've ever seen, others are nice too, but this....is.... absolutely stunning
H4f1d is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #18
AMJAM
Captain
 
AMJAM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: What is the Matrix

Posts: 811
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4f1d View Post
My man, this is by far, the best 3 series mods I've ever seen, others are nice too, but this....is.... absolutely stunning
Thanks
__________________
2013 Alpine White 328I M Sport ARRIVED
AMJAM is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #19
ex o
 
ex o's Avatar
 
Drives: ✖✖
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: ✖✖✖

Posts: 144
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMJAM View Post
I have Octane wheels which are 20x8.5 et36 and 20x10 et 42. Tyres 245/30/20 and 255/30/20 I am lowered on BC Racing Coilovers at my height there was no way a bigger rear tyre fitted the 275/30/20 was wedged against the guard.
The front offset could easily go out a few mm but the rear is completely flush
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAMI-M3 View Post
I went with Velgen Wheels 20x9 et 35 20x10.5 et 45 w 245-30-20 / 275-30-20 lowered on BC Coils.
How is it that the 275/30/20 didn't work for AMJAM but worked for MIAMI-M3 when the MAIMI-M3's wheels stick out 3mm more?

I just ordered a 20x10 ET40 set up for the rear and I'm looking for the correct tire set up.
ex o is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2013, 01:33 AM   #20
dcg71
Captain
 
Drives: F30 335i Sport BSM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 830
iTrader: (2)

Not all tyres are created equal. Some have squarer sidewalls than others.
dcg71 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #21
AMJAM
Captain
 
AMJAM's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Alpine 328I MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: What is the Matrix

Posts: 811
iTrader: (0)

My car is also quite low
__________________
2013 Alpine White 328I M Sport ARRIVED
AMJAM is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      10-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #22
btbossman
Major
 
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 1,371
iTrader: (0)

On the west coat or FL 20''s maybe perfect, but for north east I wouldn't recommend it, I have 19'' m5 reps and when it get dicey, I would definitely not want any less tire, I imagine my wheels looking like hell by now if they were 20s. Im not lowered or anything, but it looks good, and has much more comfort than e9x on 19s.
btbossman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST