F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Sport mode?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #1
Afy360
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 335d, F10 M5
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Berwick, East Lothian

Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)

Sport mode?

As I patiently wait for my 335d I thought I would ask you guys a question.

In my previous E92 330i when I hit the auto transmission to the left it would go into sport mode.

Is this the same in the F30 as it has a separate button for comfort, sport and sport +.

And if yes, what what do they do differently from one and other.

Hope that makes sense.
Afy360 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
Alkidrew
Lieutenant
 
Alkidrew's Avatar
 
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Surrey

Posts: 539
iTrader: (0)

this was quite a good thread on it

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...light=sport%2B
Alkidrew is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
TripleD
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F31 320d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk

Posts: 302
iTrader: (0)

Same in the F30 Auto transmission, hit it across to the left and it puts it in Sport, which also shots the auto stop/start from doing it's thing!

The Sport, Sport+, comfort etc button adjusts the steering weight, throttle sensitivity etc

I have found that putting it into Sport and putting the auto into sport there's a noticeable jolt when going up the gears, rather than being smooth!
__________________
Treat every problem as your dog would; if you can't eat it or f**k it, pee on it and walk away!
TripleD is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,484
iTrader: (0)

When you shift the lever to the left in the F30, the sport mode of the transmission is engaged. This has the car rev higher before upshifting and downshifts are also at a higher rpm than normal, hence sport. The changes are also sharpened up and the display that would normally show "D" will now show "S" plus the gear you're in, i.e. "S3". The transmission is still in automatic mode until you either shift sequentially on the lever or use the flappy paddles. This will change the display to "M" plus the gear you're in, i.e. "M3". The car is now in full manual mode and will not revert back to D (automatic) like it would if the lever was not pushed to the left. However, the car will downshift itself if the revs fall far too low and in Comfort, will upshift itself at the redline.

Going into Sport or Sport + mode means the car will not upshift itself and will just let you bounce off the rev-limiter. Sport mode will weight up the steering for more feel, sharpen the throttle response and if you have Adaptive M Suspension, stiffen up the dampers. Also, if the transmission is in position D (not to the left), the car will hold on to lower gears for longer, upshift at higher rpm and downshift at higher rpm, just like if you push the lever to the left. However, the effect is not as profound as moving the lever to the left (DS or M/S), so it may only drop 1 gear whereas moving to the left may see it drop 2 gears and upshift/downshift at even higher rpm. Also, Sport mode does not directly effect the sharpness or speed of the gear change, so you will need to push the lever left for the sharp changes.

That said, the transmission will adapt to your driving style and shift accordingly to some extent, even in Comfort.

Sport + just activates Dynamic Traction Control, which optimises forward momentum with restricted stability. In other words, it backs off the traction and stability control a little so you can hoon a little without killing yourself.

Sounds complicated, but you'll pick it up quick!!
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,484
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
Same in the F30 Auto transmission, hit it across to the left and it puts it in Sport, which also shots the auto stop/start from doing it's thing!

The Sport, Sport+, comfort etc button adjusts the steering weight, throttle sensitivity etc

I have found that putting it into Sport and putting the auto into sport there's a noticeable jolt when going up the gears, rather than being smooth!
Yes, pressing on in Sport mode with the transmission in D is not ideal for smoothness or sport, as you can imagine! The changes are still, essentially, in Comfort so it can feel like there is a delay. Shift the lever to the left and you'll get your quick smooth shifts to match Sport. Comfort and D works wonderfully and imperceptibly, which is why my 328i Sport Auto spends most of its time in that default configuration.
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #6
Alkidrew
Lieutenant
 
Alkidrew's Avatar
 
Drives: F31 325d M Sport GS
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Surrey

Posts: 539
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
if you have Adaptive M Suspension, stiffen up the dampers.
This is the best bit, awesome fun switching to sport and feeling the car hunker down...
Alkidrew is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #7
rich1068
has left the building
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

Posts: 3,356
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
When you shift the lever to the left in the F30, the sport mode of the transmission is engaged. This has the car rev higher before upshifting and downshifts are also at a higher rpm than normal, hence sport. The changes are also sharpened up and the display that would normally show "D" will now show "S" plus the gear you're in, i.e. "S3". The transmission is still in automatic mode until you either shift sequentially on the lever or use the flappy paddles. This will change the display to "M" plus the gear you're in, i.e. "M3". The car is now in full manual mode and will not revert back to D (automatic) like it would if the lever was not pushed to the left. However, the car will downshift itself if the revs fall far too low and in Comfort, will upshift itself at the redline.

Going into Sport or Sport + mode means the car will not upshift itself and will just let you bounce off the rev-limiter. Sport mode will weight up the steering for more feel, sharpen the throttle response and if you have Adaptive M Suspension, stiffen up the dampers. Also, if the transmission is in position D (not to the left), the car will hold on to lower gears for longer, upshift at higher rpm and downshift at higher rpm, just like if you push the lever to the left. However, the effect is not as profound as moving the lever to the left (DS or M/S), so it may only drop 1 gear whereas moving to the left may see it drop 2 gears and upshift/downshift at even higher rpm. Also, Sport mode does not directly effect the sharpness or speed of the gear change, so you will need to push the lever left for the sharp changes.

That said, the transmission will adapt to your driving style and shift accordingly to some extent, even in Comfort.

Sport + just activates Dynamic Traction Control, which optimises forward momentum with restricted stability. In other words, it backs off the traction and stability control a little so you can hoon a little without killing yourself.

Sounds complicated, but you'll pick it up quick!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Yes, pressing on in Sport mode with the transmission in D is not ideal for smoothness or sport, as you can imagine! The changes are still, essentially, in Comfort so it can feel like there is a delay. Shift the lever to the left and you'll get your quick smooth shifts to match Sport. Comfort and D works wonderfully and imperceptibly, which is why my 328i Sport Auto spends most of its time in that default configuration.
Answers to all the questions one may be too 'proud' to ask on a public forum
rich1068 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,484
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
Answers to all the questions one may be too 'proud' to ask on a public forum
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 09:25 AM   #9
TripleD
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F31 320d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Suffolk

Posts: 302
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Yes, pressing on in Sport mode with the transmission in D is not ideal for smoothness or sport, as you can imagine! The changes are still, essentially, in Comfort so it can feel like there is a delay. Shift the lever to the left and you'll get your quick smooth shifts to match Sport. Comfort and D works wonderfully and imperceptibly, which is why my 328i Sport Auto spends most of its time in that default configuration.
Nope the Transmission is in 'S' and then select Sport mode, when going up the gears there's a noticeable jerk (and not the one in the drivers seat) when changing up the gears.
__________________
Treat every problem as your dog would; if you can't eat it or f**k it, pee on it and walk away!
TripleD is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Afy360
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 335d, F10 M5
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: North Berwick, East Lothian

Posts: 115
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for that, now I just need to put it into practice....

In 3/4 months!!!!
Afy360 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 09:43 AM   #11
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,484
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleD View Post
Nope the Transmission is in 'S' and then select Sport mode, when going up the gears there's a noticeable jerk (and not the one in the drivers seat) when changing up the gears.
Depends to what extent you press on.

I was on some winding roads yesterday so wasn't particularly pushing the engine or trans hard, and this allowed for imperceptible shifts in DS and Sport. However, launching from the M6 Toll Plaza in DS and Sport at full power, the transmission shifts so fast and hard (DCT like), there is a jerk.

But remember we have a difference in engines! The all rounder 20d, the free-revving yet strong 28i, the torque-monster N57's (30d & 35d).

Moreover, I didn't feel my transmission had fully broken in until 8000mls as the changes became more and more imperceptible from when I got it with 7mls on the clock. I now have 31000mls on the clock.
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #12
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,484
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afy360 View Post
Thanks for that, now I just need to put it into practice....

In 3/4 months!!!!
No problem!
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
gatsojon
Lieutenant
 
gatsojon's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport EBII
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester, UK

Posts: 509
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Depends to what extent you press on.

But remember we have a difference in engines! The all rounder 20d, the free-revving yet strong 28i, the torque-monster N57's (30d & 35d).
How well put sir!
__________________
gatsojon is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #14
rich1068
has left the building
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

Posts: 3,356
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Also, if the transmission is in position D (not to the left), the car will hold on to lower gears for longer, upshift at higher rpm and downshift at higher rpm, just like if you push the lever to the left. However, the effect is not as profound as moving the lever to the left (DS or M/S), so it may only drop 1 gear whereas moving to the left may see it drop 2 gears and upshift/downshift at even higher rpm. Also, Sport mode does not directly effect the sharpness or speed of the gear change, so you will need to push the lever left for the sharp changes.
I have to admit I didn't know this. I obviously knew the lever knocked to the left and that the rocker switch altered the gear change in Sport/Sport+ but I'd never actually tried a combination of the two. Though I have since reading this

To be honest I don't often mess with the flappy paddles (trying to second guess this gearbox??) and tend to stick with auto. When I do have a run on my favourite road and change the drive settings it appears I was just using Sport Lite.

And no, I never read the handbook.
rich1068 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 04:31 AM   #15
SimonB
2nd Time BMW Owner
 
Drives: 335i M-Sport, optioned up!
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Perth, Western Australia

Posts: 1,618
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
Sounds complicated, but you'll pick it up quick!!
I am SO looking forward to my 335 M pack with adaptive suspension! Thanks for this excellent write up and excuse me haunting the UK forum :-)
__________________
MY14 335i M-Sport, EBII, Merino leather (Individual) black with cashmere stitching & piping, HUD, Adaptive Headlights, HBA, HK Audio, Park Assist, M-Sport Brakes, Driver Assistance Pack, Lane Departure Warning, Adaptive Cruise Control, Sunroof, DAB, Comfort Access, VSS, Adaptive Suspension and MORE!
SimonB is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #16
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,484
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I have to admit I didn't know this. I obviously knew the lever knocked to the left and that the rocker switch altered the gear change in Sport/Sport+ but I'd never actually tried a combination of the two. Though I have since reading this

To be honest I don't often mess with the flappy paddles (trying to second guess this gearbox??) and tend to stick with auto. When I do have a run on my favourite road and change the drive settings it appears I was just using Sport Lite.

And no, I never read the handbook.
Ha, yeah, from a transmission point of view you could see the Sport button as a Sport Lite setting! Then hit it to the left for the full sport program.
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #17
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,484
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
I am SO looking forward to my 335 M pack with adaptive suspension! Thanks for this excellent write up and excuse me haunting the UK forum :-)
No problem, you haunt away!
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #18
rich1068
has left the building
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

Posts: 3,356
iTrader: (0)

I've confessed all to my E46 M3 owning friend. He called me a gaylord.
rich1068 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #19
ZigmundUK
Captain
 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NCL - UK

Posts: 626
iTrader: (0)

Actually there's an option in te menu system to choose exactly what sport mode gives you. I suspect most have it set to chassis only or chassis + steering. This gives the behaviour described - ie switching to sport mode doesn't change the transmission. Then flicking the gear lever left gives you sport transmission.

Btw floppies are better to make sure the car doesn't second guess you wrong on windy roads. Also allows you to get to 8th if in sport transmission...
ZigmundUK is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      09-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,484
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigmundUK View Post
Actually there's an option in te menu system to choose exactly what sport mode gives you. I suspect most have it set to chassis only or chassis + steering. This gives the behaviour described - ie switching to sport mode doesn't change the transmission. Then flicking the gear lever left gives you sport transmission.

Btw floppies are better to make sure the car doesn't second guess you wrong on windy roads. Also allows you to get to 8th if in sport transmission...
The car will eventually upshift to 8th in Sport mode, you just need to be going quicker! ~100mph I believe...
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST