F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 3-Series Sedan / F32 4-Series Coupe Forum > 2014 3 Series... is a Sport Package Returning?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
 
mdsbuc's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lutz, FL

Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
So no one else a fan of the burl/metal?

Personally feel its stellar in 5, x5 ect...
I'm a fan and have ordered it. I like the metal trims too, so the decision wasn't easy. I had aluminum trim in my Honda Accord in the early 2000's. My GT has aluminum trim as well. With the wood my M Sport will look aggressive on the outside, and sporty but still luxurious on the inside. In the end, I appreciate anyone's choice for exterior color and interior trim and understand that it's what "works" for them. If all our cars looked the same we'd be bored to death.

.
__________________

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
mdsbuc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #24
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Even with the elegant metal trim that trims the bottom of the dash?

Does the 5 series pull it off better?
Yup.......it's not as sporty. Wood does not belong in sports car/sedan. Belongs in old guy/luxury sedan.....IMO .
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #25
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
I'm a fan and have ordered it. I like the metal trims too, so the decision wasn't easy. I had aluminum trim in my Honda Accord in the early 2000's. My GT has aluminum trim as well. With the wood my M Sport will look aggressive on the outside, and sporty but still luxurious on the inside. In the end, I appreciate anyone's choice for exterior color and interior trim and understand that it's what "works" for them. If all our cars looked the same we'd be bored to death.

.
Any chance you could post your pictures link? Sounds like a beautiful setup!
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #26
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
 
mdsbuc's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lutz, FL

Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Any chance you could post your pictures link? Sounds like a beautiful setup!
Thanks! Check out my sig. The car is on order for European Delivery on April 23rd. There's a lot of waiting to go before I can post some photos.
__________________

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
mdsbuc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 12:04 PM   #27
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaborn View Post
I am suprised that I have not seen more discussion about the filler line on the Luxury, Modern, and Sport Line bumpers. I guess most don't really mind it. I really don't like it and wish I was getting the base line bumer.
I think most fall in line with a "line". I am too fussy and I think so used to the old way of ordering cars that I am really struggling with picking a line thats right for me.

Interior- Luxury, but add sport seats.
Exterior-BASE- I know... weird, but its the cleanest look at there.
Seats- M Sport.
Steering Wheel- Sport wheel from Luxury.

- I want to love the M sport. But I question whether or not i'd be posing in that line. M is written on all the wheels, the steering wheel and 6 speed shifter. Even on the trim walking into the car. Yet we assume others wont think this is an M 3? my Lord BMW, why not just write ///M Sport instead!!!! Even Steering wheel wouldn't confuse with real M3...
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #28
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
I think most fall in line with a "line". I am too fussy and I think so used to the old way of ordering cars that I am really struggling with picking a line thats right for me.

Interior- Luxury, but add sport seats.
Exterior-BASE- I know... weird, but its the cleanest look at there.
Seats- M Sport.
Steering Wheel- Sport wheel from Luxury.

- I want to love the M sport. But I question whether or not i'd be posing in that line. M is written on all the wheels, the steering wheel and 6 speed shifter. Even on the trim walking into the car. Yet we assume others wont think this is an M 3? my Lord BMW, why not just write ///M Sport instead!!!! Even Steering wheel wouldn't confuse with real M3...
Don't worry about what others think. If they know anything about the car they will know what M means and why its there. Looks cool.....order it.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
Vector Pilot
First Lieutenant
 
Vector Pilot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago Metro

Posts: 394
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
I think most fall in line with a "line". I am too fussy and I think so used to the old way of ordering cars that I am really struggling with picking a line thats right for me.

Interior- Luxury, but add sport seats.
Exterior-BASE- I know... weird, but its the cleanest look at there.
Seats- M Sport.
Steering Wheel- Sport wheel from Luxury.

- I want to love the M sport. But I question whether or not i'd be posing in that line. M is written on all the wheels, the steering wheel and 6 speed shifter. Even on the trim walking into the car. Yet we assume others wont think this is an M 3? my Lord BMW, why not just write ///M Sport instead!!!! Even Steering wheel wouldn't confuse with real M3...
As posted earlier, I agree with your list, especially the Base model looking the best. As for the M-Sport, I need xDrive and cannot see the advantage of ordering it and with exception of EBII, the interior options are limited and basically are hand-me-downs from the other Lines.
Vector Pilot is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #30
dzaborn
Private
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i F30
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Posts: 89
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
I think most fall in line with a "line". I am too fussy and I think so used to the old way of ordering cars that I am really struggling with picking a line thats right for me.

Interior- Luxury, but add sport seats.
Exterior-BASE- I know... weird, but its the cleanest look at there.
Seats- M Sport.
Steering Wheel- Sport wheel from Luxury.

- I want to love the M sport. But I question whether or not i'd be posing in that line. M is written on all the wheels, the steering wheel and 6 speed shifter. Even on the trim walking into the car. Yet we assume others wont think this is an M 3? my Lord BMW, why not just write ///M Sport instead!!!! Even Steering wheel wouldn't confuse with real M3...
As far as the exterior, the wheels are what make the most difference to me. I like both the Sport and Modern Line wheels, but really don't like the Luxury. The trim pieces and grill don't matter that much to me, except that trim line in the bumper which I really don't care for. The interior for me is fine for all three lines, but I really don't like the Base interior and steering wheel at all.
__________________
2013 BMW 328i Sedan | Mojave Metallic Modern Line
Premium | Technology | Lighting | Rear View Camera | PDC | Harman Kardon | Heated Front Seats | 8AT
dzaborn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #31
Tsuvoi
Banned
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
So no one else a fan of the burl/metal?

Personally feel its stellar in 5, x5 ect...
I personally hate burl wood in cars, it's so 1990. I would like it if the wood was more uniform. For my M-Sport the only option I can stomach is the aluminum, a little cold but what can I say.
Tsuvoi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #32
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
 
mdsbuc's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lutz, FL

Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1337 View Post
I personally hate burl wood in cars, it's so 1990. I would like it if the wood was more uniform. For my M-Sport the only option I can stomach is the aluminum, a little cold but what can I say.


1990s Spider

Woods and metals have both been used through the decades. People have preferences, that's all. In 20 years you may prefer wood, thinking that aluminum is "too turn of the century."

btw, "hate" is a pretty strong word.....
__________________

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
mdsbuc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #33
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzaborn View Post
As far as the exterior, the wheels are what make the most difference to me. I like both the Sport and Modern Line wheels, but really don't like the Luxury. The trim pieces and grill don't matter that much to me, except that trim line in the bumper which I really don't care for. The interior for me is fine for all three lines, but I really don't like the Base interior and steering wheel at all.
I agree here... BMW is basically forcing us to choose a line because the wheels of the base are so boring! ANd base seats and non sport steering wheel in a 52,000 loaded car? What the heck?
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 07:29 PM   #34
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post


1990s Spider

Woods and metals have both been used through the decades. People have preferences, that's all. In 20 years you may prefer wood, thinking that aluminum is "too turn of the century."

btw, "hate" is a pretty strong word.....
Metal is cold? Actually wood interior trim is considered warm

How can wood, which is hand crafted and great quality be hated? Why not have a beautiful wood interior... BMW is a very luxurious car. If they left it off the 3 series people would cry that its a cheap car!
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #35
mdsbuc
Second Lieutenant
 
mdsbuc's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 335i M Sport-'12MustGT 5.0
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Lutz, FL

Posts: 219
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
Metal is cold? Actually wood interior trim is considered warm

How can wood, which is hand crafted and great quality be hated? Why not have a beautiful wood interior... BMW is a very luxurious car. If they left it off the 3 series people would cry that its a cheap car!
You quoted the wrong post. I actually have a slight preference for the wood. Notice the build of my car in my sig. And, did you mean to begin your post "Wood is cold?" instead of "Metal is cold?"
__________________

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut /Packages- Prem / DHP / Tech / Driver Assist / DA Plus Options- 8 Sprt AT / Htd FS / HK / Hi Bm Asst /403 19" w/perf tyres

Ordered: 12/15/12, ED Delivery Date: 04/23/13
mdsbuc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #36
Tsuvoi
Banned
 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York

Posts: 272
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
[Insulting image taken out]

1990s Spider

Woods and metals have both been used through the decades. People have preferences, that's all. In 20 years you may prefer wood, thinking that aluminum is "too turn of the century."

btw, "hate" is a pretty strong word.....


Did you just post a Renault photo in a BMW forum?

Next time counter me with a Lada or Yugo for maximum comic effect.
Tsuvoi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #37
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
You quoted the wrong post. I actually have a slight preference for the wood. Notice the build of my car in my sig. And, did you mean to begin your post "Wood is cold?" instead of "Metal is cold?"
Yikes... sorry for the blunder... I was trying to talk to the other guy who wasn't a fan.

Not sure why I am on my high horse when it comes to the wood interior thing. I guess my eye sees some kind of luxury that is a personal taste.

Carbon leather is actually my favorite. From the M3. To me, it was better than Burl or Metal.

Let the M sport have that optionally and maybe or discussion is MOOT
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #38
LuisBoston
Major
 
LuisBoston's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 128i 6mt m-sport
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Boston

Posts: 1,414
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I'm with you on this. I hate wood in a car it just do not belong, especially a sport sedan. I find it hard to see why would someone want sport package and then brown and wood interior!!

I personally think BMW did a really good job with the lines and the options that were offered when I was building my car was perfect.
Brown interior looks amazing (Sport pkg/terra interior here, wouldn't have it any other way). Black interiors are boring. Beige, no thanks.
__________________
Would rather take the bus than drive an automatic.
2013 BMW 128i 6MT MGM/CR. M-sport/Premium/Cold, HK, Xenons, Fineline trim, Security System, BMW Assist, BMW SSK and PE. European Delivery 7-12-2013.
SOLD: 2007 BMW 328xi 6MT BSM/Terra
LuisBoston is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #39
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,412
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post

- I want to love the M sport. But I question whether or not i'd be posing in that line. M is written on all the wheels, the steering wheel and 6 speed shifter. Even on the trim walking into the car. Yet we assume others wont think this is an M 3? my Lord BMW, why not just write ///M Sport instead!!!! Even Steering wheel wouldn't confuse with real M3...
Such packages have been offered for twenty plus years now. You could get a 318ti with the same front end as an e36 M3, literally in your rearview you would not be able to distinguish.

I upgraded my wheels so there is not one single M badge on the exterior. M steering wheels and knobs really do not mean much, do not get too hung up on It.


I had a no line base 6mt on order at first. There is something about how the m sport is kitted out, it just makes the car feel a bit more special.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 11:58 AM   #40
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Such packages have been offered for twenty plus years now. You could get a 318ti with the same front end as an e36 M3, literally in your rearview you would not be able to distinguish.

I upgraded my wheels so there is not one single M badge on the exterior. M steering wheels and knobs really do not mean much, do not get too hung up on It.


I had a no line base 6mt on order at first. There is something about how the m sport is kitted out, it just makes the car feel a bit more special.
I think you are right about the M Sport. Its been discussed here as a special look. I just hate having dicussions with people telling me its a poser ///M when the reality is the owner is not trying to look as though he or she has an M.

I think if BMW labeled the steering wheel as ///Msportline opposed to ///M wouldnt have this backlash. Or if the front spoiler wasn't such a duplicate of the next M3.

I realize all of the components that go into an M are skin deep. But why is BMW pushing the M look on non M cars? Money... they can sell a package and people will sign up.

Just in my case its about the Burl Wood, the nicer stitching. And less about the exterior appearance.
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #41
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,412
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
I think you are right about the M Sport. Its been discussed here as a special look. I just hate having dicussions with people telling me its a poser ///M when the reality is the owner is not trying to look as though he or she has an M.

I think if BMW labeled the steering wheel as ///Msportline opposed to ///M wouldnt have this backlash. Or if the front spoiler wasn't such a duplicate of the next M3.

I realize all of the components that go into an M are skin deep. But why is BMW pushing the M look on non M cars? Money... they can sell a package and people will sign up.

Just in my case its about the Burl Wood, the nicer stitching. And less about the exterior appearance.
Never encountered poser mentality from anyone.

But I have been to shows where people put m badges and m stripes on cars that did not come with them. Thats one thing. Audi has the S-line which gives it S4 appearance, MB has Amg packs of wheels and bodykit for lesser models, Porsche put the body kit from the turbo on NA 911s as S models. This is pretty much the standard for the industry.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #42
JK479
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW soon...
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Never encountered poser mentality from anyone.

But I have been to shows where people put m badges and m stripes on cars that did not come with them. Thats one thing. Audi has the S-line which gives it S4 appearance, MB has Amg packs of wheels and bodykit for lesser models, Porsche put the body kit from the turbo on NA 911s as S models. This is pretty much the standard for the industry.
I have a friend who owns an e92 M3. And to be honest, I see why he would present his feelings to me about this. I have asked his opinion over the course of choosing the car.

I think its more of my own problem about image and what my friends think about the car as opposed to what reality is. I am glad you brought this up because maybe BMW needs to be cut some slack since MB, Audi and Lexus all have a sportline similar to their performance brand.
JK479 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #43
alex2364
Captain
 
alex2364's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335i M Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 670
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [5.00]
The only people worried about being a poser driving M Sport packages are ones that aren't comfortable in their own skin. Now, if you stick a ///M badge on your M Sport, like this guy, then yeah, you're being a poser.
alex2364 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2013, 03:16 PM   #44
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
I agree here... BMW is basically forcing us to choose a line because the wheels of the base are so boring! ANd base seats and non sport steering wheel in a 52,000 loaded car? What the heck?
The Japanese invented this "package strategy years ago..very efficient on the assembly line.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:30 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST