F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires > Help me decide : Blizzak LM-60 vs WS70?
European Auto Source

09-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Aeromotive

Drives: 335i Xdrive MSport

Help me decide : Blizzak LM-60 vs WS70?

Hi all.

As the title states, I'm currently deciding between two very good tires from Bridgestone.
The LM-60 is a performance winter tire with better dry surface traction, while the WS70 is better in deep snow and ice conditions, while a little bit worse on dry roads. I personally have the WS70 and they're absolutely fantastic in snow and ice. Simply unbeatable... but then again I drive a Civic...

Here's TireRack's comparison :

Quote:
The Blizzak WS70 features a softer dual-compound tread with Bridgestone's NanoPro-Tech silica-enhanced Tube Multicell compound layered on top of a standard winter compound. The Tube Multicell compound features thousands of microscopic tubes and cells uniformly distributed throughout the compound (which makes the rubber look like Swiss cheese when examined through a microscope) that wick away the water that often forms between the tire's contact patch and the surface of icy and snow-packed roads. Pores and tubes are constantly exposed around the tread as the tire wears. This flexible rubber compound boosts the tire's grip in cold conditions while the bite particles attached to the tubes scratch at packed snow and icy surfaces for traction.

The Blizzak LM-60, being a high performance winter / snow tire, is offered in a higher speed rating (H/130 mph). Since the current Multicell tread compounds used on Blizzak WS70 tires are not designed to support H-speed ratings, the Blizzak LM-60 uses a high silica content winter tread compound molded into a directional tread design that features independent tread blocks with 3-D zigzag sipes to disperse water away from the tire's contact patch, further enhancing grip. This combination provides hydroplaning resistance, greater driving and braking force on snow-covered roads.

In Montreal, we usually got clean roads during the winter, but we get a snow storm at least once a month, so it's usually 4-6 per season.

The car is a 335i xdrive, the driver is my wife, and shes does around 90km roundtrip per day to work. It's all highway, but during snowstorms some parts of that highway aren't nice at all...

So, what to choose? Dry performance for 80% of the driving, or snow/ice performance for that occasional storm? Can I rely on xdrive, ABS, traction control and all other gizmos to compensate for the loss of traction in snow/ice of the LM-60? Or should I get the ultimate best, even if it means a wobbly ride? Especially worried about the difference in stiffness coming from RFT's...

Thanks!
Aero.
      09-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
canbmw
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 F31

Personally, I would sacrifice dry road handling to have more aggressive winter tires. I prefer to be prepared for the worst road conditions even though they may not be that frequent.
      09-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Raikkonen
Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport, 6-Spd

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago, and given, like your wife, my commute is primarily highway, I went w/ the LM's.

However, my old car (2009 335i) was rwd, not awd, and I was fine for two entire seasons. Never even had a scary moment...

The difference is that in Detroit, there are probably only 6-7 days that are REALLY bad, and our highways are usually the first streets to be cleared.

The remaining surface streets are almost always cleared by the end of the day, so the trade-off of a more aggressive snow/ice tire just isn't worth it for me, as I primarily need winter tires for cold and freezing weather, not snow and ice.

If I lived in a more rural or country setting, I'd probably do the WS...just my .02
      10-05-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
reedo302
Estorilblau Member

Drives: Estoril 328i M Sport

I ran Dunlop WinterSport M2's on my E46 M3 for a couple years and that thing was a mountain goat. I regularly passed SUVs and pickup trucks in snow storms. The one major area where you do see a demonstrable difference between Performance Winter vs Studless Ice and Snow is with the ice part. The Ice and Snow tires, which have a high silica content and softer construction, do a little bit better in icy conditions and hard packed snow.

I live in Minnesota, so we full well know what winter can bring. I have had zero problems running performance winter tires. My work vehicle has RWD and runs performance winters and it keeps running in everything except very deep snow (12+ inches).

I had no reservations about putting Dunlop performance winters on my new RWD F30.
reedo302 is offline   United_States
      10-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
VMRWheels
Lieutenant General

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2008 5 Series  [3.30]
Tough choice, and I think in either one you would be fairly pleased with the performance of the tires in most conditions. You just need to look at how bad the conditions can get, and go from there.