F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Transferring private plate to new car
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
MarkW83
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 472
iTrader: (0)

Transferring private plate to new car

I'm wanting to transfer my private plate onto my 330d (when it arrives) so it has the plate on when I collect it, and was just wondering the best and quickest way to do it?

The plate is currently on my 135i, which the dealer is taking off me as a part-ex.

I don't want to delay delivery or handover by having to wait for the plate to transfer, is there a way the dealer can do the transfer so that it won't delay anything at all? Or, would I be better putting the plate on retention now, then just transferring it at my leisure when I've picked up the car?

Any help appreciated
__________________
F30 330d M Sport Mineral Grey / Coral Red
Pro Nav/Visibility Pack/Comfort Pack/Harman Kardon/Head-Up Display/Electric Seats/Comfort Access/Adaptive Suspension...
MarkW83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
Nick the Greek
Captain
 
Nick the Greek's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i MSport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 659
iTrader: (0)

Best and quickest way is for dealer to do the lot. That way you collect your new car with your plate on it. Just gone through the process with the wifes car. All went well and was painless apart from the fee the DVLA charge for transfer.

Nick the Greek is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
MarkW83
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
Best and quickest way is for dealer to do the lot. That way you collect your new car with your plate on it. Just gone through the process with the wifes car. All went well and was painless apart from the fee the DVLA charge for transfer.

Thanks, doesn't sound too bad! Are there any potential delays with the dealer doing everything, or should the car still be ready for collection on the same day as if it had a normal reg on it?
__________________
F30 330d M Sport Mineral Grey / Coral Red
Pro Nav/Visibility Pack/Comfort Pack/Harman Kardon/Head-Up Display/Electric Seats/Comfort Access/Adaptive Suspension...
MarkW83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #4
MaestroAl
Major
 
Drives: Superman 330D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (0)

Yes there can be delays. I was advised to wait until I had the car before doing the transfer. In hindsight, what with my car having disappeared somewhere, I would have had time, but it can take three weeks apparently
__________________
"Superman 330D M Sport" Estoril Blue / Coral Red
2PF|ZAP|ZMP|ZVI|2VF|3AP|420|488|494|5DC|688|6NR
IT ARRIVED!
MaestroAl is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #5
MarkW83
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Yes there can be delays. I was advised to wait until I had the car before doing the transfer. In hindsight, what with my car having disappeared somewhere, I would have had time, but it can take three weeks apparently
Hmm, not sure I want to risk a delay; am I right in thinking that I can go to my local DVLA office after I get the car, and they can do the transfer there and then (ie no waiting)? If so, even though it's 25 extra I think that may be the safest option. Not sure I trust the dealer to keep on top of everything, they've been a bit slack so far to say the least...
__________________
F30 330d M Sport Mineral Grey / Coral Red
Pro Nav/Visibility Pack/Comfort Pack/Harman Kardon/Head-Up Display/Electric Seats/Comfort Access/Adaptive Suspension...
MarkW83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Nick the Greek
Captain
 
Nick the Greek's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i MSport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 659
iTrader: (0)

Mark, I can only comment from experience and there were no delays.

Don't listen to Al, he ordered his car in 2009 and is still waiting.....

Nick the Greek is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
F30FAN
Private First Class
 
F30FAN's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport -
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 194
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
I'm wanting to transfer my private plate onto my 330d (when it arrives) so it has the plate on when I collect it, and was just wondering the best and quickest way to do it?

The plate is currently on my 135i, which the dealer is taking off me as a part-ex.

I don't want to delay delivery or handover by having to wait for the plate to transfer, is there a way the dealer can do the transfer so that it won't delay anything at all? Or, would I be better putting the plate on retention now, then just transferring it at my leisure when I've picked up the car?

Any help appreciated
Mark I had a similar issue.. as there was a wait for my F30 to arrive I was told by the dealer to place my private plate on retention.

They took my old car with the private plate as partx and did all the paper work (and liasing with DVLA for the private plate admin) and posted me back the Road Fund License (with the new standard reg) so that I could claim my tax refund promptly.

I had to fill in a couple of forms one for the private plate to go on retention (you can print this from the DVLA website) which I filled and posted to my dealer and one for the tax refund (obtained from the Post Office) which I filled and sent to DVLA with the tax disk.

I must say the dealer was quite good in managing this..

In your case I suppose it depends on how long you have to wait for your F30, as I had to place mine on retention it cost me around 200.00, If you dont have a long wait you should be able to transfer it directly from your old car to your new one, I believe It should be cheaper also..

Hope that helps..

Infact they were pretty good with the whole thing for a change..
__________________
F30 330d MSport
Alpine White|19"Star Spoke Alloys| Dakota Leather|Advanced Parking|Visibility|BMW Pro Media Pkge|MSport Braking System|MSport|Susp|HUD|S L D|Harmon/Kardon

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781108
F30FAN is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
swanseahammer
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 320d ED
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Swansea

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 320d SE  [0.00]
Dealer did everything for me. Whole process took about a week which suited me fine.
swanseahammer is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
MaestroAl
Major
 
Drives: Superman 330D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (0)

I have the forms in front of me since I did this the other day

It costs 80 to transfer a plate
It costs 105 to retain a plate for a single year
It costs 130 to retain a plate for two years
It costs 155 to retain a plate for three years

__________________
"Superman 330D M Sport" Estoril Blue / Coral Red
2PF|ZAP|ZMP|ZVI|2VF|3AP|420|488|494|5DC|688|6NR
IT ARRIVED!
MaestroAl is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #10
MarkW83
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 472
iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys, I need to decide if I want to risk a delay I suppose. It could all go fine, but I guess there's also a chance of it causing a delay. I think it's 105 to put the plate on retention, which includes 25 to assign it, so it's 25 more than doing the transfer. Seeing as my dealer can't even return my calls or order the right spec of the car, I don't know if I trust them to look after the transfer! I'll call the DVLA tomorrow to see if I can actually go in to do the transfer (from retention) when I get the car, and if I can, I think I'll do that; though I was hoping to have the plate actually on the car when I collected it!
__________________
F30 330d M Sport Mineral Grey / Coral Red
Pro Nav/Visibility Pack/Comfort Pack/Harman Kardon/Head-Up Display/Electric Seats/Comfort Access/Adaptive Suspension...
MarkW83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:42 PM   #11
NISFAN
Brigadier General
 
NISFAN's Avatar
 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

Posts: 3,176
iTrader: (0)

I have done this two ways now.....

First method was the dealer doing it. It can delay the car because they have to wait for the retention doc to come back from DVLA before they can use it to register the new car. DVLA state the retention doc can take up to 10 days.

Second method was I went to DVLA and put plate on retention. Got the retention (D750???) back in 3-4 days. Handed it to dealer who when ready can register new car. This method leaves you in control and if timed right ensures no delays. Also means it is you who stumps up for the new plates (if required)
__________________
NISFAN is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
MarkW83
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I have done this two ways now.....

First method was the dealer doing it. It can delay the car because they have to wait for the retention doc to come back from DVLA before they can use it to register the new car. DVLA state the retention doc can take up to 10 days.

Second method was I went to DVLA and put plate on retention. Got the retention (D750???) back in 3-4 days. Handed it to dealer who when ready can register new car. This method leaves you in control and if timed right ensures no delays. Also means it is you who stumps up for the new plates (if required)
Cheers, second option sounds like it could be the best? Can I give the retention doc to the dealer before the car arrives, then they use that to do the initial registration, so there actually won't be any delays, and I can then pickup the car with the private reg on it?
__________________
F30 330d M Sport Mineral Grey / Coral Red
Pro Nav/Visibility Pack/Comfort Pack/Harman Kardon/Head-Up Display/Electric Seats/Comfort Access/Adaptive Suspension...
MarkW83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #13
NISFAN
Brigadier General
 
NISFAN's Avatar
 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

Posts: 3,176
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Cheers, second option sounds like it could be the best? Can I give the retention doc to the dealer before the car arrives, then they use that to do the initial registration, so there actually won't be any delays, and I can then pickup the car with the private reg on it?
Yep, the dealer will register the car first time with the private plate all done.
__________________
NISFAN is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
MarkW83
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Yep, the dealer will register the car first time with the private plate all done.
Nice one, thanks for that, I'll do that Do I need to add the dealer as a nominee or anything?
__________________
F30 330d M Sport Mineral Grey / Coral Red
Pro Nav/Visibility Pack/Comfort Pack/Harman Kardon/Head-Up Display/Electric Seats/Comfort Access/Adaptive Suspension...
MarkW83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
NISFAN
Brigadier General
 
NISFAN's Avatar
 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

Posts: 3,176
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW83 View Post
Nice one, thanks for that, I'll do that Do I need to add the dealer as a nominee or anything?
No, no nominee. As new car is registered to you, you stay registered owner.

.........or if plate is worth a considereable sum, nominate me and I'll sort it for you
__________________
NISFAN is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
MaestroAl
Major
 
Drives: Superman 330D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (0)

I just got a retention certificate and put the lease company as a nominee. you don't need to do this if you're not leasing obviously

As soon as my car materialises, I drop the retention cert off to the dealer and they let me know when it's all done
__________________
"Superman 330D M Sport" Estoril Blue / Coral Red
2PF|ZAP|ZMP|ZVI|2VF|3AP|420|488|494|5DC|688|6NR
IT ARRIVED!
MaestroAl is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
mlepyro
M Performance
 
mlepyro's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 + F31 330d
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 480
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I would do this...

Put the plate on retention now. This will take anything up to 2 or 3 weeks in my experience. Get the form from DVLA. They will issue you plates to put on that car which you'll have to get made, or if you have the originals still it's likely you'll get that reg back.

As soon as you have the retention certificate, give it to your dealer. They will register the car with that plate, so you don't have to then go to DVLA to change it over, you don't have to have new old plates made either.

Mat
__________________
F10 M5 Competition White / Sakhir Orange
Loaded, Akra carbon titanium exhaust, Carbon trim, Carbon spoiler, RKP carbon front lip + diffusor.
F31 330d M Sport (Alpine White / Red)
Loaded, 405M 20", M perf: skirts, brakes red.
mlepyro is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
mlepyro
M Performance
 
mlepyro's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 + F31 330d
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 480
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Another thing I just remembered, when I did this on my 335d, it had changed so that you couldn't walk out of the DVLA with the ability to go change the plates. They had to send stuff off, and you had to wait for it to arrive before physically changing the plates. This took around 10 days I seem to recall.

Previously it was done over the counter, new tax disc issued and form to get plates made if needed, then you had to change them asap.
__________________
F10 M5 Competition White / Sakhir Orange
Loaded, Akra carbon titanium exhaust, Carbon trim, Carbon spoiler, RKP carbon front lip + diffusor.
F31 330d M Sport (Alpine White / Red)
Loaded, 405M 20", M perf: skirts, brakes red.
mlepyro is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #19
MarkW83
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlepyro View Post
Another thing I just remembered, when I did this on my 335d, it had changed so that you couldn't walk out of the DVLA with the ability to go change the plates. They had to send stuff off, and you had to wait for it to arrive before physically changing the plates. This took around 10 days I seem to recall.

Previously it was done over the counter, new tax disc issued and form to get plates made if needed, then you had to change them asap.
Thanks Mat, does this not mean that it could cause a delay at the dealer though, as presumably they'll have to wait for the ~10 days after taking the retention doc to the DVLA to do the first registration?
__________________
F30 330d M Sport Mineral Grey / Coral Red
Pro Nav/Visibility Pack/Comfort Pack/Harman Kardon/Head-Up Display/Electric Seats/Comfort Access/Adaptive Suspension...
MarkW83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #20
mlepyro
M Performance
 
mlepyro's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 + F31 330d
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK

Posts: 480
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
No that will be fairly quick... I believe they do it the same day you collect But it may depend on your dealer. My M3 dealer is huge and do there own tax discs somehow.

New one for F31 said bring it to him a week before. So basically you want to sort it asap in my view. Or just accept the car on any plate if you have no time. Then sort yourself after?

Cheers

Mat
__________________
F10 M5 Competition White / Sakhir Orange
Loaded, Akra carbon titanium exhaust, Carbon trim, Carbon spoiler, RKP carbon front lip + diffusor.
F31 330d M Sport (Alpine White / Red)
Loaded, 405M 20", M perf: skirts, brakes red.
mlepyro is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #21
MarkW83
Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 472
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlepyro View Post
No that will be fairly quick... I believe they do it the same day you collect But it may depend on your dealer. My M3 dealer is huge and do there own tax discs somehow.

New one for F31 said bring it to him a week before. So basically you want to sort it asap in my view. Or just accept the car on any plate if you have no time. Then sort yourself after?

Cheers

Mat
Thanks, I'll ask the dealer how quickly they can do it once they have the retention doc
__________________
F30 330d M Sport Mineral Grey / Coral Red
Pro Nav/Visibility Pack/Comfort Pack/Harman Kardon/Head-Up Display/Electric Seats/Comfort Access/Adaptive Suspension...
MarkW83 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      11-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
M40WST
Enlisted Member
 
M40WST's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 316d ES AW
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Luton, Bedfordshire, UK

Posts: 49
iTrader: (0)

When I looked at getting a Merc they said it would take as long as it has taken when I don previously which car to car is ages cause of waiting for the V5. same issue with retention get the cert in a week but then weeks for the V5.

When I broached the issue with the Dealer they said they had a deal with the Manchester DVLA and as soon as the car is there they'll get my v5 off etc and the whole process is then done in about 4 days
M40WST is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST