F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 3-Series Sedan / F32 4-Series Coupe Forum > Sport+ WHERE!!!
Mtrack
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Noor
Private First Class
 
Drives: '12 BMW 328i, '02 VW Passat V6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 137
iTrader: (0)

Sport+ WHERE!!!

Guys when I click on the button that switches the modes there's no Sport+ only Sport. Does the 328i come with Sport+ or not. Mine is 8AT
Noor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
TrueBlue12
Second Lieutenant
 
TrueBlue12's Avatar
 
Drives: Imperial 328i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 212
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noor View Post
Guys when I click on the button that switches the modes there's no Sport+ only Sport. Does the 328i come with Sport+ or not. Mine is 8AT
Only if you get Sportline or some sorta upgraded steering/suspension
TrueBlue12 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #3
Noor
Private First Class
 
Drives: '12 BMW 328i, '02 VW Passat V6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 137
iTrader: (0)

Whats does Sport+ do anyways? And am I missing a lot?
Noor is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #4
levente
Private
 
levente's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30 M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hamilton,NJ

Posts: 78
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noor View Post
Guys when I click on the button that switches the modes there's no Sport+ only Sport. Does the 328i come with Sport+ or not. Mine is 8AT
you need the Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles option
levente is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
matt_335Ci
Colonel
 
matt_335Ci's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i Sport
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Arizona - West Valley

Posts: 2,281
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2012 335i sedan  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to matt_335Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noor View Post
Whats does Sport+ do anyways? And am I missing a lot?
takes off traction control and some other BMW magical changes.
__________________
'12 335i Glacier Silver w/everest grey leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/ZTP/ZPS/Sport8spd/PDC/hot seats/20% ceramic tints

*RETIRED* 2009 z4 35i [e89] | 2007 335i coupe [e92] | 2001 325Ci [e46] *RETIRED*
matt_335Ci is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
TLennox
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delaware

Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

Does a 335i sportline 6MT get the sport plus? Please confirm
Thx
TLennox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Balzz
Captain
 
Drives: 2012 Havana F30 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 887
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 F30 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLennox View Post
Does a 335i sportline 6MT get the sport plus? Please confirm
Thx
My 335 6MT sport line says YES!
Balzz is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #8
TLennox
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delaware

Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

Thank you Balzz!!!
TLennox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
dd1981
Kapetan Svog Života
 
dd1981's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,465
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noor View Post
Whats does Sport+ do anyways? And am I missing a lot?
It just takes off traction. I havent noticed any difference in performance in sport vs sport+ only tractions gets turned off. They shift the same, wich if I may say this trans hits pretty hard in gear changes when shifted manually. I love it. Its as close to a DCT as it gets. Honestly besides the looks of the f30 this is what really sold me on the car. The trans is just awesome IMO.
__________________
Custom Modified OEM Muffler,
back
dd1981 is offline   Serbia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
bananachipz
Captain
 
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 814
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLennox View Post
Thank you Balzz!!!
sorry, but that made me LOL
bananachipz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
bananachipz
Captain
 
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 814
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
It just takes off traction. I havent noticed any difference in performance in sport vs sport+ only tractions gets turned off. They shift the same, wich if I may say this trans hits pretty hard in gear changes when shifted manually. I love it. Its as close to a DCT as it gets. Honestly besides the looks of the f30 this is what really sold me on the car. The trans is just awesome IMO.
no it doesn't..

What it does is turn off Dynamic Stability Control, and enable Dynamic Traaction Control..

What does this mean? Basically the car will let you get away with a little more before intervening.
bananachipz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #12
F10N55
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW F10 535 xdrive m-sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY

Posts: 177
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
no it doesn't..

What it does is turn off Dynamic Stability Control, and enable Dynamic Traaction Control..

What does this mean? Basically the car will let you get away with a little more before intervening.


In sport plus auto it also disables the kickdown shift when the pedal is all the way down.
F10N55 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #13
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
 
SomeRandomer123's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lancashire, North West England, UK

Posts: 2,486
iTrader: (0)

Just to better your understanding of the system:

DSC Dynamic Stability Control
The Concept

DSC prevents traction loss in the driving wheels when driving away and accelerating.

DSC also recognises unstable vehicle conditions, such as fishtailing or nose-diving. Subject to physical limits, DSC helps to keep the vehicle on a steady course by reducing engine speed and applying brakes at individual wheels.

Adjust your driving style to the situation.

An appropriate driving style is always the responsibility of the driver.

The laws of physics cannot be repealed, even with DSC.

Therefore, do not reduce the additional safety margin by driving in a risky manor.


Indicator/warning lamps

The indicator lamp flashes: DSC controls the drive forces and brake forces.

The indicator lamp lights up: DSC has failed.


Deactivating DSC: DSC OFF

When DSC is deactivated, driving stability is reduced during acceleration and when driving in bends.

To increase vehicle stability, activate DSC again as soon as possible.


Deactivating DSC

Press and hold the button, but not longer than approx. 10 seconds, until the indicator lamp for DSC OFF lights up in the instrument cluster.

The DSC system is switched off.


Activating DSC

Press the button.

DSC OFF indicator lamps go out.



DTC Dynamic Traction Control
The Concept

The DTC system is a version of the DSC in which forward momentum is optimised.

The system ensures maximum forward momentum on special road conditions, e.g., unplowed snowy roads, but driving stability is limited.
It is therefore necessary to drive with appropriate caution.

You may find it useful to briefly activate DTC under the following special circumstances:

- When driving in slush or on uncleared, snow-covered roads.

- When rocking the vehicle or driving off in deep snow or loose surfaces.

- When driving with snow chains.


Deactivating/activating DTC Dynamic Traction Control

Activating the Dynamic Traction Control DTC provides maximum traction on loose ground. Driving stability is limited during acceleration and when driving in bends.


Activating DTC

Press the button.

The indicator lamp for DTC lights up.


Deactivating DTC

Press the button again.

The indicator lamp for DTC goes off.
__________________

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
My 328i initial thoughts + media!http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712673
SomeRandomer123 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
dcg71
Captain
 
Drives: F30 335i Sport BSM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 830
iTrader: (2)

Also won't up shift automatically when you hit the rev limiter.
dcg71 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
Balzz
Captain
 
Drives: 2012 Havana F30 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 887
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 F30 335i  [0.00]
Note that the DSC failed notification is triggered by donuts.
Balzz is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #16
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 5,953
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
no it doesn't..

What it does is turn off Dynamic Stability Control, and enable Dynamic Traaction Control..

What does this mean? Basically the car will let you get away with a little more before intervening.
Yes, this what it does according to the manual.
That's the way I understood it in the manual.
The manual is not as clear on this as it should be, and I think that adds to the confusion.

Drive mode is new to me. In my 135i there is only the DTC/DSC button, which is still there in the new 3.
In drive mode sport+, DTC is activated/ON.
There is still some traction control going on, as well as some stability control, but it's now "dynamic", meaning the system will allow the drive wheels to spin.
And, you can slide the rear end out to a certain degree, but it comes back in very nicely.
DTC is part of DSC.

I think the only way to turn both DTC and DSC completely off is by using the DSC/DTC button, just like it's always been.
You hold that button for a few seconds, no longer than 10, and both DTC and DSC are completely turned off.
This is full on driver controlled driving. Swing out too wide and you can lose the rear end.

I tried sport+ at the drive event in a 335i sport.
Set driver mode to sport+, hold brake, give throttle, right around 2100rpm, at the same time release the brake and WFO on throttle.
The rear lights up and launches hard. Careful with throttle modulation for best acceleration. Too much and the rears will just spin for a good distance. I tried a few launches and if you're throttle foot is heavy you can lay down a good patch of rubber, however, you're not accelerating too quickly when doing that.
Lots of fun this sport AT.

Last edited by RPM90; 07-21-2012 at 10:13 PM.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 5,953
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzz View Post
Note that the DSC failed notification is triggered by donuts.
When you did this, did you use the DTC/DSC button to turn the system completely off?

I would say that is the only way to get the rear to come completely around, as there wouldn't be any traction of stability control on.
In sport+ only, there would still be some traction and stability control, and once the rear swings past a certain degree, stability would try to pull it back.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
dd1981
Kapetan Svog Života
 
dd1981's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,465
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananachipz View Post
no it doesn't..

What it does is turn off Dynamic Stability Control, and enable Dynamic Traaction Control..

What does this mean? Basically the car will let you get away with a little more before intervening.
Aha. The light is somewhat confusing as to what's actually turned off. Also I think when in sport + the trans won't up shift in manual. That also gives you more feel and control. Pretty cool.

So if I go into sport+ and then press and hold the button on the console that means traction is also off correct? Jeremy Clarkson is going to have a field day in this car testing lol you know how he hates pressing all those buttons.
__________________
Custom Modified OEM Muffler,
back
dd1981 is offline   Serbia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #19
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 5,953
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
It just takes off traction. I havent noticed any difference in performance in sport vs sport+ only tractions gets turned off. They shift the same, wich if I may say this trans hits pretty hard in gear changes when shifted manually. I love it. Its as close to a DCT as it gets. Honestly besides the looks of the f30 this is what really sold me on the car. The trans is just awesome IMO.
This sport AT really is a revelation in auto trans.
If this AT didn't exist I would have taken MT.
Sport AT amazed me too much to not try it.

Now that you've had your 3 for a bit, do you use the paddles in manual mode or the lever?

In all the test drives I've taken I'm always using the lever, and have to remind myself to try the paddles. But when I do it doesn't feel natural.
Coming from decades of MT use it just feels natural to use the lever, and it works great. I hope over time it doesn't get loose and sloppy.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #20
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 5,953
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1981 View Post
Aha. The light is somewhat confusing as to what's actually turned off. Also I think when in sport + the trans won't up shift in manual. That also gives you more feel and control. Pretty cool.

So if I go into sport+ and then press and hold the button on the console that means traction is also off correct? Jeremy Clarkson is going to have a field day in this car testing lol you know how he hates pressing all those buttons.
That's the idea if I understand the manual correctly.

Try this in your car, set the drive mode to sport+ and note the symbol that shows on your dash. Then, press the DTC/DSC button for about 5 seconds, does the symbol change?

I've been searching the web to find more technical data on the drive modes, but haven't been successful.
I'd like to know if Sport+ has a different traction and stability calibration compared to simply pressing the DTC/DSC button once.

Pressing that button once puts the car in DTC mode, dynamic traction.
This seems to be the same thing as using sport+.
But, is it really the same, or is there something different?

I'm also not a fan of all this button pushing.
I don't mind that it's there, but I do mind that BMW didn't allow for the system to remember "last used settings" and simply hold and use those settings until I actively change them.
Plus, sport line and Msport shouldn't even come with "comfort" or "eco" modes. "SPORT" is in the name, sport mode should be default.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #21
dd1981
Kapetan Svog Života
 
dd1981's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,465
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
This sport AT really is a revelation in auto trans.
If this AT didn't exist I would have taken MT.
Sport AT amazed me too much to not try it.

Now that you've had your 3 for a bit, do you use the paddles in manual mode or the lever?

In all the test drives I've taken I'm always using the lever, and have to remind myself to try the paddles. But when I do it doesn't feel natural.
Coming from decades of MT use it just feels natural to use the lever, and it works great. I hope over time it doesn't get loose and sloppy.
Yes I love the trans a lot. I do find myslef missing the manual, but I do not regret not getting it.

I do use the paddles quite a bit especially in sport mode. I use the shifter to shift only while im taking corners or in curves, I find it very difficult to upshift or downshift if need being if the wheel is turned, so I just use the shifter instead. And I like the paddles because for some reason it just feels better, its like when you upshift 6500rpm it just seems to kinda hit hard and the steering wheel gives a little vibrating jitter. Kinda neat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That's the idea if I understand the manual correctly.

Try this in your car, set the drive mode to sport+ and note the symbol that shows on your dash. Then, press the DTC/DSC button for about 5 seconds, does the symbol change?

I've been searching the web to find more technical data on the drive modes, but haven't been successful.
I'd like to know if Sport+ has a different traction and stability calibration compared to simply pressing the DTC/DSC button once.



Pressing that button once puts the car in DTC mode, dynamic traction.
This seems to be the same thing as using sport+.
But, is it really the same, or is there something different?

I'm also not a fan of all this button pushing.
I don't mind that it's there, but I do mind that BMW didn't allow for the system to remember "last used settings" and simply hold and use those settings until I actively change them.
Plus, sport line and Msport shouldn't even come with "comfort" or "eco" modes. "SPORT" is in the name, sport mode should be default.
Ok I tried it, and it does change. When i switch to sport and hold the off button, the DTC is activated. I hold it for another 3 seconds and DSC becomse inactive.

Sport + I hit OFF button once and it just says traction and it puts the car back to comfort mode. Some sort of default mode. If its in sport+ and I hold OFF for 3 seconds, DSC is off and also puts the car back into comfort. Kinda strange that it would throw it back to comfort on default and not keep it in the sport setting.

I noticed this by scrolling on the mode setting button by accident and it was in eco mode. I was like what the hell. And I played with it some more and every time it seemed to do that. I goes back to comfort.
__________________
Custom Modified OEM Muffler,
back
dd1981 is offline   Serbia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST