F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > M6 Paddle retrofit

04-17-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
Vitoco
Captain

Drives: F31 328i M Sport

M6 Paddle retrofit

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I learnt this on a german forum, pics are from there.

This whole installs takes 15 minutes tops. You basically need to remove the airbag, but you donīt have to unplug it (if you have a set of extra hands that can hold it for you, careful not bending or twisting the plug). But it is recommended that you either unplug the battery or disconnect the airbag. Thatīs actually the hard part, the rest is easy. Be very careful doing this, not only when itīs out but when trying to press the springs holding on to it. Find a guide to figure this part out. If you wanna do it the simple way make sure the ignition is ENTIRELY OFF, put the key fob in the trunk or something as well. No need to disconnect the battery if you do that, since you wonīt disconnect the airbag.

After removing the airbag you then use a torx-screwdriver to loosen the screw holding each paddle. Itīs the one to the right. on the pic below. Thereīs no need to remove it entirely to take out the paddle, what you will do is push the paddle back when itīs loose enough.

Thing is, the M6 paddle and the F30 paddle are an identical fit however the electronics module on them differs (according to the germans on the site I found this how-to on) so you will need to keep the original module/box. This is why you donīt have to remove or disconnect the paddle entirely, just enough so that you can push it back to be able to remove the paddle from the still connected module (the torx-screw sits in the module, not the paddle) and then attach the M6 paddle to the F30 module. This means you will have removed the M6 module from the the paddles on forehand
The modules are removed by pressing out a sprint which you will have to locate. The sprints can only be removed in one direction since they are tapered. Just press it out with something thin. Be careful not dropping the small spring and plastic parts that sit between the box and paddle. Experiment on the M6 ones when removing them and learn how it all fits before doing this tricky business with the ones hanging from the steering wheel during install.
Pics below show it all

Last edited by Vitoco; Yesterday at 05:00 PM.
Vitoco is offline   Sweden
      04-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
Rossifumi
Major

Drives: F30

Does it make a big difference?
I think they are a bit too small on the F30.

BTW, last two images needs an account on the german forum.
Rossifumi is online now   No_Country
      04-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #3
Vitoco
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossifumi View Post
Does it make a big difference?
I think they are a bit too small on the F30.

BTW, last two images needs an account on the german forum.
You heard me on the power bump didnīt you?? :-p
Itīs mainly that these are more weighted, totally solid and just feel/sound better when shifting. And they sit closer to your fingers, so from an ergonomical/functional POV they are much better. All in all, they add a lot of value and Iīm really pleased. Plus, I think they look really good and not small at all. The M6 wheel is nearly identical
      04-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #4
Vitoco
Captain

Oh, and now I can see if ASS is ON or OFF
      04-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
Vitoco
Captain

Here are the last two pics again
Attached Images

04-17-2014, 07:09 AM   #6
MyFastM3
Private First Class

Drives: m3

Does the "+" and the "-" light up on the paddles ?
      04-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #7
Vitoco
Captain

Nope, its metal
      04-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #8
Rossifumi
Major

Drives: F30

They look a lot sportier for sure!
Rossifumi is online now   No_Country
      04-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
dmath
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

Nice change - I really like those paddles. Unfortunately, my M Sport doesn't have paddles so I can't make the change. Not without changing the steering wheel and I'm afraid to ask what that costs.
      Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #10
Vitoco
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmath View Post
Nice change - I really like those paddles. Unfortunately, my M Sport doesn't have paddles so I can't make the change. Not without changing the steering wheel and I'm afraid to ask what that costs.
You should be able to retrofit the paddles without buying a new steering wheel. You may or actuallly may not need a different cover in the back with slots for the pedals. And then just some coding and your good to go. Take a look behind a steering wheel with paddles and compare to yours, I really think you dont even have to change any thing and that they just slide in. And the connectors just need to be pmugged in to existing wires.. investigate ;-)
      Yesterday, 09:06 PM   #11
dmath
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitoco
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmath View Post
You should be able to retrofit the paddles without buying a new steering wheel. You may or actuallly may not need a different cover in the back with slots for the pedals. And then just some coding and your good to go. Take a look behind a steering wheel with paddles and compare to yours, I really think you dont even have to change any thing and that they just slide in. And the connectors just need to be pmugged in to existing wires.. investigate ;-)
Thanks, I'll look into it. I'll look mre carefully at some of the photos on the forum and compare with the back of my wheel.
      Yesterday, 10:40 PM   #12
HFW003
Major

Drives: Havana 328 Modern Line

I think you will find you will need to buy a new wheel. They have different part numbers for wheel with and without paddles.