F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 3-Series Sedan / F32 4-Series Coupe Forum > Autoblog review of the F30 335i
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
DrivenByE30
Colonel
 
DrivenByE30's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC - SoCal

Posts: 2,590
iTrader: (0)

Arrow Autoblog review of the F30 335i




http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/30/2...w-335i-review/


Conclusion of the review:

Quote:
The 328i is objectively superior to the 335i because it is significantly less expensive, more fuel efficient, better balanced, lighter and nearly as quick (BMW says the 335i 6MT will do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds while the 328i 6MT does it in 5.7 seconds). In an un-biased and non-emotional decree, most everyone should choose the four-cylinder 328i over the six-cylinder 335i.

But many of us are not most everyone.

We found ourselves growing increasingly attached to the 335i the more we drove it. The heavier sedan lacked the tossable agility of the innovative 328i, but there was emotional gratification with the traditional powerplant over the front axle, and its mass made the 335i feel more stable and substantial on the road. Most importantly, there was the daily bliss of hearing BMW's silky inline-six whirling up to redline while its linear torque forced us deep into the seatbacks.



Realistically and to keep ourselves grounded objectively:
The two comments i like the most are:

Quote:
"Of course we took it on Mulholland, and without a 328i in sight the 335i was a shining star."

"For The Enthusiast Who Isn't Ready To Embrace The Future"
i have to concur

Last edited by DrivenByE30; 03-30-2012 at 01:01 PM. Reason: grounded
DrivenByE30 is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
DrivenByE30
Colonel
 
DrivenByE30's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC - SoCal

Posts: 2,590
iTrader: (0)

Out of 91 person viewing this thread so far...

I have been waiting for one of you to say something,
but since none of you saw it...

here is what i am going to point out:




http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...#photo-4928475

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...#photo-4928479

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...#photo-4928457

Noticed something weird ??

Is it because the car is missing Premium package ?
DrivenByE30 is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
tuned2ride
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Hell

Posts: 275
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
The 328i is objectively superior to the 335i because it is significantly less expensive,
I challenge their "objectivty".

3-series with Sport, Xenon and roof;
328i 42795$
335i 44995$.
tuned2ride is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
BMWinGE
Captain
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany

Posts: 632
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
Out of 91 person viewing this thread so far...

I have been waiting for one of you to say something,
but since none of you saw it...

here is what i am going to point out:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...#photo-4928475

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...#photo-4928479

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2012-...#photo-4928457

Noticed something weird ??

Is it because the car is missing Premium package ?
Is this a trick question?
BMWinGE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
SavvyByNature
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 - 328i
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 280
iTrader: (0)

So the 4-cyl 328i is better? A better deal perhaps, but I-6 will always have the win in my book. Unless they put a 8-cyl in a normal 335i.
__________________
Montego Blue Metallic e92 6MT|| BMW Performance SSK Kit || Charcoal Delete w/ K&N Drop-In || CDV Delete || Custom Clutch Stop || (3) Stage Manifold Swap || Stage 2 Eurocharged Tune ()
SavvyByNature is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
onehungevo
Captain
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2008

Posts: 823
iTrader: (0)

I really like the dual exhaust on the 335i and other features that don't come on the 328. I'm curious to see how well the 335 response to a tune. These pictures confirm white is my favorite color on the new sedan.
onehungevo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
lukeb817
Lieutenant
 
lukeb817's Avatar
 
Drives: AW '13 335i M Sport
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cincinnati

Posts: 494
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuned2ride View Post
I challenge their "objectivty".

3-series with Sport, Xenon and roof;
328i 42795$
335i 44995$.
Your math only computes if you add Premium Package on the 328i (in order to have xenons and sunroof) but NOT adding the premium on the 335i since xenons and sunroof are standard, so even those numbers aren't really apples to apples...

(I get your point though...I admit, I am just trying to rationalize my choice to go with the 328i, for weeks I have been fighting an internal battle of: "it's only a few thousand more for the 335, just DO IT" vs "the 328i is more efficient" vs "C&D got the 335 to 0-60 in 4.7 you idiot" and so on and so on...)
lukeb817 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
Redztone
Private
 
Drives: 2002 325i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

So the 328i is more economical in terms of price and gas and makes for a better track car. Therefore, if you can afford the difference and spend 99% of your time on roads versus track, the 335i makes perfect sense.

I agree with the conclusion... I test drove both and only remember one of those test drives

Last edited by Redztone; 03-30-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Redztone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
DrivenByE30
Colonel
 
DrivenByE30's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: OC - SoCal

Posts: 2,590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
Is this a trick question?
335i without technology package....


some of us has the extended black out instrument panel
and
some others, in this case, do not...


what gives or not ?
DrivenByE30 is offline   France
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
BMWinGE
Captain
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany

Posts: 632
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByE30 View Post
335i without technology package....


some of us has the extended black out instrument panel
and
some others, in this case, do not...


what gives or not ?
I see now. I've been asking the same question in another thread on the photo forum. I seem to have the same spec as another member but he has the extended instrument panel and I do not. Strange.
BMWinGE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2012, 03:32 AM   #11
Foreigner
New Member
 
Drives: F3x
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: L.A.

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
I see now. I've been asking the same question in another thread on the photo forum. I seem to have the same spec as another member but he has the extended instrument panel and I do not. Strange.
You get the extended instrument cluster either if the car has navigation or lane departure warning (or both). Between you and said other member it is probably LDW that makes the difference.
Foreigner is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
pcbrew
Captain
 
pcbrew's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: DFW

Posts: 766
iTrader: (0)

I believe Premium Pack adds extended cluster, as DrivenByE30 surmised, even though the order guide says the only way to get it is with Tech Pack.
pcbrew is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST