F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 3-Series Sedan / F32 4-Series Coupe Forum > N20B Engine - 320i vs 328i (Same?)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-28-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
J.
First Lieutenant
 
J.'s Avatar
 
Drives: E90 320i, E36 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 363
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
N20B Engine - 320i vs 328i (Same?)

Hey, just wanted to ask if anyone knows the difference between the N20B 320i and the 328i. I've went to the dealership and was told that it was diffrent but they could not explain to me how it differs.

So I've done some research just looking up at the BMWparts and it shows me the following ;

Both 320i and 328i engine code is N20B2000
Both Compression Ratio, Bore Stoke is the same.

Both items are sharing the same part number
Engine Block SAME
Intake Manifolds are the SAME
Exhaust Manifold (Turbo) SAME
Cylinder Head SAME
VANOS Valve SAME
Vacumn Control + Pump SAME
Throttle Body SAME
Intake Airbox SAME

As you can see, Kelleners has already made a tune specifically for the 320i and 328i respectively. But what I do not understand is how come BMW and Kelleners actually made 2 different tunes if the foundation(components) of the vehicle is the same.

I can't wait till other tuners are able to find more information to unlock the potential of the N20B.

Would you now consider to buy a 320i or a 328i if both models are available in your country?
J. is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 02:10 AM   #2
walile
Private
 
Drives: F30 coming soon
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canada

Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)

I am waiting for more info on this as well. Do they have the same turbo physically?

If the 320i can be chip tuned to 280+hp, I would serious consider it over the 335i. A well equipped 320i is about $42,000 in Canada, but cannot be ordered with leather, sports seat, lumbar support, or Harmon Kardon sound. A 328i and 335i with these extra options will cost around 52k and 58k respectively.

For now, I am going 335i xDrive. But if I can saving $20,000 and have just as much fun with a manual RWD BMW, I don't see why not. This is assuming that the 320i can be tuned to around 280hp.
walile is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Not all are the same. Before Nov 2011 it had a different block & turbo. After that it seems the same, but it may change later again.
Compression ratio is different (10:1 for 28i & 11:1 for 20i) for F10 & F30, but same for both models of x1.
What maybe happening is BMW is doing some sort of binning with these engines (i.e. if output is above official figures then it'll be a 28i, otherwise it'll be a 20i), after that they'll lock the power down for the 20i.
For me I'll not bother with the 320i as there's vitually no price difference between the 2 if u spec them the same, plus it comes with smaller brakes than the 328i.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
 
svache's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hawaii

Posts: 1,881
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by walile View Post
but cannot be ordered with leather, sports seat, lumbar support, or Harmon Kardon sound
For these alone I would choose the 328i over the 320i if these were the only differences.
__________________
F30 328i Luxury w/ Mojave metallic, beige interior (timeline)


Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
svache is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,911
iTrader: (0)

Has been discussed here before

There are 2 different 320i N20 engines
Different regions will get different ones.

The "low compression" version is very similar to the 328i except for the Turbos
The standard version has a different head for higher compression and different turbos.

Most regions with proper fuel will get the standard version with higher compression
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Not all are the same. Before Nov 2011 it had a different block & turbo. After that it seems the same, but it may change later again.
Compression ratio is different (10:1 for 28i & 11:1 for 20i) for F10 & F30, but same for both models of x1.
What maybe happening is BMW is doing some sort of binning with these engines (i.e. if output is above official figures then it'll be a 28i, otherwise it'll be a 20i), after that they'll lock the power down for the 20i.
For me I'll not bother with the 320i as there's vitually no price difference between the 2 if u spec them the same, plus it comes with smaller brakes than the 328i.
Dont compare the F30 320i engine with the X1 or F10 .20i engines, they are not the same
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #7
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Dont compare the F30 320i engine with the X1 or F10 .20i engines, they are not the same
I know, we discussed this on the other thread some days ago.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #8
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
For these alone I would choose the 328i over the 320i if these were the only differences.
For my market the 328i have leather & combox media as standard, if u add these 2 options the prices between 328 & 320 are virtually the same.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
QLD
Captain
 
QLD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ...

Posts: 894
iTrader: (0)

The important thing is not the engine in isolation... what are the tranny specs? I bet the 320i has a lower spec tranny with lower torque capacity??
__________________
.
.



..sweet torquin' diesel!
QLD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #10
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QLD View Post
The important thing is not the engine in isolation... what are the tranny specs? I bet the 320i has a lower spec tranny with lower torque capacity??
Yes,
different diff and different Gearbox to 328i
Also 28mm drive shafts against 35mm 328i shafts
Brakes are smaller too
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
I know, we discussed this on the other thread some days ago.

Sorry, forgot that was with you
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #12
QLD
Captain
 
QLD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 LCI E92 - Mineral White
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: ...

Posts: 894
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Yes different diff and different Gearbox to 328i
Also 28mm drive shafts against 35mm 328i shafts
Brakes are smaller too
Thought so, so there lies the primary issue - yes the 320i may be able to be tuned to give same output as 328i... but you will likely stuff the tranny and TC in no time.
__________________
.
.



..sweet torquin' diesel!
QLD is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Brakes are smaller too

Talking abt brakes, do u know which market(s) apart from USA/CDN get the smaller front discs for the 328i?
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #14
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Talking abt brakes, do u know which market(s) apart from USA/CDN get the smaller front discs for the 328i?
None for the 328i
But some markets get them for the 320i or 320d
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #15
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
None for the 328i
But some markets get them for the 320i or 320d
It seems US-spec 328i has same size front discs as EU-spec 320d, & front discs on 320i is even smaller.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #16
J.
First Lieutenant
 
J.'s Avatar
 
Drives: E90 320i, E36 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 363
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
Not all are the same. Before Nov 2011 it had a different block & turbo. After that it seems the same, but it may change later again.
Compression ratio is different (10:1 for 28i & 11:1 for 20i) for F10 & F30, but same for both models of x1.
What maybe happening is BMW is doing some sort of binning with these engines (i.e. if output is above official figures then it'll be a 28i, otherwise it'll be a 20i), after that they'll lock the power down for the 20i.
For me I'll not bother with the 320i as there's vitually no price difference between the 2 if u spec them the same, plus it comes with smaller brakes than the 328i.
I see the figures for BMWHK specs is that the 520i and 528i the compression is both at 11:1. Would it be the same in this matter?

I know there are probably also some differences in terms of brakes, and interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet View Post
Yes,
different diff and different Gearbox to 328i
Also 28mm drive shafts against 35mm 328i shafts
Brakes are smaller too
The entire gearbox + driveshafts are different? even for 520i/528i?


Thanks for the much appreciated info everyone! This thread has given alot more information then what those "BMW salesman" has told me.
J. is offline   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 02:08 AM   #17
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. View Post
I see the figures for BMWHK specs is that the 520i and 528i the compression is both at 11:1. Would it be the same in this matter?

I know there are probably also some differences in terms of brakes, and interior.



The entire gearbox + driveshafts are different? even for 520i/528i?


Thanks for the much appreciated info everyone! This thread has given alot more information then what those "BMW salesman" has told me.
The BMWHK website now shows 11:1 for the 520i and 10.3:1 for the N20 528i
Some countries get larger brakes on the 528i, but not all.

Yes, the 320i and 328i have different gearboxes and driveshafts.
The 520i and N20 528i use teh same gearbox and driveshafts.
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #18
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
It seems US-spec 328i has same size front discs as EU-spec 320d, & front discs on 320i is even smaller.
Yes, the Euro 320i discs are smaller, but the Canadian 320i uses the same discs as the US-spec 328i and Euro 320d.
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 04:24 AM   #19
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

Posts: 1,544
iTrader: (0)

If the 528i has code S212A, then same brakes as 520i. Otherwise it's different.
clarence is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #20
E90Fleet
Major General
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Africa

Posts: 7,911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
If the 528i has code S212A, then same brakes as 520i. Otherwise it's different.
Just for clarity:
Thats a option where each country can choose which brakes certain models get depending on local requirements.
Its not a customer selectible option.
__________________
Nominated: Member of the Year, Most Contributing Member


BMW if you are reading, I need a job
E90Fleet is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      06-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #21
DimSum
Banned
 
Drives: SLOW
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LITTLEBIMMER.COM

Posts: 2,743
iTrader: (10)

Does anyone know the difference in the Canadian market?
DimSum is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #22
notebookboy
New Member
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: HONGKONG

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Lightbulb

Hi Bro,

Have you found any difference between 320i/328i engine except the exhaust? I tried to search a lot but came out the result that they're the same except the exhaust.

Do you think a Tuned 320i = Tuned 328i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. View Post
Hey, just wanted to ask if anyone knows the difference between the N20B 320i and the 328i. I've went to the dealership and was told that it was diffrent but they could not explain to me how it differs.

So I've done some research just looking up at the BMWparts and it shows me the following ;

Both 320i and 328i engine code is N20B2000
Both Compression Ratio, Bore Stoke is the same.

Both items are sharing the same part number
Engine Block SAME
Intake Manifolds are the SAME
Exhaust Manifold (Turbo) SAME
Cylinder Head SAME
VANOS Valve SAME
Vacumn Control + Pump SAME
Throttle Body SAME
Intake Airbox SAME

As you can see, Kelleners has already made a tune specifically for the 320i and 328i respectively. But what I do not understand is how come BMW and Kelleners actually made 2 different tunes if the foundation(components) of the vehicle is the same.

I can't wait till other tuners are able to find more information to unlock the potential of the N20B.

Would you now consider to buy a 320i or a 328i if both models are available in your country?
notebookboy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
n20b engine, n20b motor

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST