F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 3-Series Sedan / F32 4-Series Coupe Forum > 2012 BMW 335i M Sport vs. 2012 Audi S4
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #23
NGuyadeen
First Lieutenant
 
NGuyadeen's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Miami,Fl

Posts: 392
iTrader: (0)

The S4 fells like a big fat pig lol. I test drove it before i got the F30 and the price are more on the M3 side and performance is the same as E90 but its heavier than the F30 the engine specs are not impressive for the price. I didnt like the way the car made turn.s. The gadgets are not as cool as the F30. However the Next Gen S4 is coming in october i think you might want to wait until then. The only thing about the S4 i like is the Astestics interior is clean and nice. The outside is MEan looking and love the LED
NGuyadeen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
///N54
Lieutenant
 
///N54's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 457
iTrader: (0)

IMO
the 335 w/ m-sport package is the direct rival to the S4

I think the only reason why BMW is pushing this "M-performance" because they need to appeal to a bigger audience. Like Audi has with the "S" branding; the "S" cars have minor tweaks over their "normal line" counter parts. ie. aero kit, more horsepower and interior trim.
__________________
Add1cted

Last edited by ///N54; 02-27-2012 at 05:00 PM.
///N54 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #25
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
 
JulieDriving's Avatar
 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,308
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2013 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2013 VW GTI  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3 Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
I have no doubt you have heard of the new M Performance branch that BMW is going to develop as an intermediary between its regular models (including M Sport) and its hardcore M models. Obviously a reply to Audi's S range. With the 381ps diesel M550d / M650d / X5 M50d / X6 M50d at its spearhead for the moment, the range will be completed by the 320ps M135i/M235i and logically by 3 and 4 Series models (I presume approx. 340ps in order to battle precisely the Audi S4 and S5 respectively). Scott26 has confirmed the existence of an M335i (a 3 Series Performance Studie concept car that should be very close to the stock M335i will be unveiled at Geneva) and I think he is trustworthy, but even without his word it seems obvious that BMW must fill in the gap by producing a real rival to the S4. By the way I personally would have thought that marketing-wise it should be called M340i in order to clearly mark a step from the regular 335i, but Scott said the -40i suffix will be reserved to the higher range models (6, 7 Series)... We'll see



I don't know the price delta between M Sport 335i and S4 but I guess the S4 with its overall sportier treatment (not just an S-Line which is the equivalent of the M Sport) is somewhat higher priced? Logically the M335i should be priced along the same lines as the S4.
Thanks advantage20, I had been looking for hints that an M335i is in the works.

While I still don't like the idea of "///M Performance models", given the info on the first ones to come out, it sounds like they are deserving of some kind of intermediary designation between the regular series cars and the M cars.

Given that M-Sport used to only be cosmetic (not sure if that's still the case with the new "M Sport Suspension" on the F30 335i M-Sport), I really didn't count that as a step up in performance (despite all the ///M badges in the interior).

I hate to admit this, but the rumored F30 ///M335i is making me wonder about my E92 M3 order...
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
JulieDriving is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
justinnum1
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

Posts: 3,921
iTrader: (0)

m335 would probably be starting at 50k if the next me will be 60k
http://www.roadandtrack.com/auto-sho...-m135i-concept

based on this m135i, i would guess the m335i gets 330/330 and the reg 335 does not get a power bump
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
justinnum1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #27
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
 
JulieDriving's Avatar
 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,308
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2013 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2013 VW GTI  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3 Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
m335 would probably be starting at 50k if the next me will be 60k
You guys are lucky.

335i's here start in the mid-50's (and almost nobody orders them stripper), and M3s usually cost $100,000 (with taxes) once all is said and done in Canada.

Since M-Sport is usually close to 60K, I'm thinking the ///M335i will probably start at least mid-60's here, north of the US border.

EDIT: Oh well, it's still better than having to pay $150,000 for an M3 in Germany (where they are made!)
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
JulieDriving is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #28
gatoman39
Major
 
gatoman39's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA

Posts: 1,346
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGuyadeen View Post
The S4 fells like a big fat pig lol. I test drove it before i got the F30 and the price are more on the M3 side and performance is the same as E90 but its heavier than the F30 the engine specs are not impressive for the price. I didnt like the way the car made turn.s. The gadgets are not as cool as the F30. However the Next Gen S4 is coming in october i think you might want to wait until then. The only thing about the S4 i like is the Astestics interior is clean and nice. The outside is MEan looking and love the LED
S4 with Stronic: 3924 lbs.
335i 8 speed: 3594 lbs.

The S4 feels heavy because it is. The 2013 S4 is the LCI version not a next gen as the B8 S4 was all new for 2009.
__________________
gatoman39 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #29
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
 
Maz335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i M Sport (Special Ed)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Posts: 2,951
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
m335 would probably be starting at 50k if the next me will be 60k
You guys are lucky.

335i's here start in the mid-50's (and almost nobody orders them stripper), and M3s usually cost $100,000 (with taxes) once all is said and done in Canada.

Since M-Sport is usually close to 60K, I'm thinking the ///M335i will probably start at least mid-60's here, north of the US border.

EDIT: Oh well, it's still better than having to pay $150,000 for an M3 in Germany (where they are made!)
I'd be happy if I can get the M335i for around $55K or $60K, anything more is just not worth it.

You're entering the M3 territory and might as well go for that. I guess my safest option is the 335i M Sport but I'm going to wait to see what the M335i turns out to be.

Should be a really exciting new car...
__________________
MODS: *** / M Sport + Performance / Meisterschaft / Challenge / MORR / more to come! ***
Maz335i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #30
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
 
JulieDriving's Avatar
 
Drives: Bimmer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,308
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2013 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2013 VW GTI  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3 Coupe  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
I'd be happy if I can get the M335i for around $55K or $60K, anything more is just not worth it.

You're entering the M3 territory and might as well go for that. I guess my safest option is the 335i M Sport but I'm going to wait to see what the M335i turns out to be.

Should be a really exciting new car...
Unfortunately, I fear there's little chance of that, as the 335is (here) already starts at $62,500

EDIT: So I added M-Sport to the 335 x-drive coupe (can't add it to the RWD 335i coupe anymore... but at least the price difference with x-drive isn't big) Without anything else, it's already $59,500....

I'm thinking ///M335i will start between 65-70K

Yeah, it's close to an M3. But once you start adding stuff on an M, you're into the mid-80s. Unless you get a (relative) stripper.
__________________
2013 M3 coupe (Azurite Black, Black, Piano Black)
+ miata nut (2 miatas) + Mk6 GTI 5-door hatch (our mini-SUV )
JulieDriving is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #31
YoungGuna86
Lieutenant
 
YoungGuna86's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Howard Beach, NY

Posts: 400
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
Agreed!

Handling was ok; I could feel tons of weight on the steering, so I know what you mean...

I'm definitely going to have to test drive the new 335i before coming to a conclusion...I just really adore the new M Sport package.

every1 speaking so highly of the 335 M sport and I agree but does anyone know timing of its release? I am thinking of getting a new car and it kills me that every single BMW vehicle has an M sport package available except the new 335.

Any1 know timing?
YoungGuna86 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #32
davidkotok
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: ny

Posts: 350
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CombatNinja View Post
S4 was really pitched more against to outgoing M3 in terms of pricing, performance and presence. It is a heavy car but that supercharged six has gobs of grunt and the everyday practicality of quattro is impossible to deny. As far as I'm concerned the S4 has it all over the 335i if the price is similar. Better interior, quattro, and the cachet that comes from the "S" badge. Not as coveted as "M" of course, but special nonetheless. That said, you can get a cheap 335i for much less than any S4 so now that is a different story. I'd probably take a $42,000 335i over a $48,000 S4 myself. Then again, I pay cash for cars and don't know how to work half the shit in them so you can see where my priorities lie. Drive them both and decide which you like the best.
Although I believe this was true in the early to mid 2000's, since the n54 arrived I believe the s4 fell much closer inline with a competitor to the 335i (with the one caveat being that unfortunately BMW has not offered a performance AWD set up) and that the RS4 was more of an m3 competitor... Although the audi has "333hp" i'm sure on a dyno the f30 n55 and the s4 are probably identical and though stock the s4 will win to 60, the second you throw even a jb+ in these cars they smoke s4's/s5's
davidkotok is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #33
Red Bread
Brigadier General
 
Drives: My wife's car
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 4,018
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkotok View Post
Although I believe this was true in the early to mid 2000's, since the n54 arrived I believe the s4 fell much closer inline with a competitor to the 335i (with the one caveat being that unfortunately BMW has not offered a performance AWD set up) and that the RS4 was more of an m3 competitor... Although the audi has "333hp" i'm sure on a dyno the f30 n55 and the s4 are probably identical and though stock the s4 will win to 60, the second you throw even a jb+ in these cars they smoke s4's/s5's
The supercharged 3.0l in the S4 is dynoing over 300 whp, with 20% awd loss, that's at least 360 hp. It weighs nearly the same as a 400hp E39 M5 and is just as quick, even at 1/4 mile trap speeds. There's not as much tuning potential in that motor as the N55, but a tuned S4 is not getting smoked by a tuned 335i, that's just silly.

I personally detest heavy cars, with a self imposed weight limit of 3,300 pounds. It would take a great car to make me overlook that, and while I've driven and enjoy the S4, it just isn't great. To be honest, the E90 never did much for me either, so I'm uncertain if I'd really like the F30, but suspect the wife will, the 1er is almost out of warranty and while it's fun, the back seat is tough to get in/out and out of warranty expenses seem a little daunting.
Red Bread is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #34
gatoman39
Major
 
gatoman39's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LA

Posts: 1,346
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuna86 View Post
every1 speaking so highly of the 335 M sport and I agree but does anyone know timing of its release? I am thinking of getting a new car and it kills me that every single BMW vehicle has an M sport package available except the new 335.

Any1 know timing?
summer 2012 for usa
__________________
gatoman39 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #35
aceking4u
Private First Class
 
Drives: Honda & Audi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

The S4 Competes Directly with a 335i

Like many have mentioned,

The S4 does compete directly with a Sports Package or M Package 335i.

If you add in AWD to the 335i it is even closer.

Personally,

If I would choose an '13 S4 over a '13 335i M Package, but I would choose a '13 328i over a '13 A4.

The S4 is just an amazing car all around IMHO. Interior is amazing, car handles great, and the lights are just unmistakeable. Another thing to consider, there are going to be a lot more 335i on the road vs an S4. Lastly, Audi allows you to add in Carbon Fiber Inlays for an additional $500. The Carbon inlays will make the car pop.



I just came out of an Audi S5 and I am extremely interested in the new F30 Coupe. I really hope real photos will surface soon.
aceking4u is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #36
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
 
Maz335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i M Sport (Special Ed)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Posts: 2,951
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceking4u
Like many have mentioned,

The S4 does compete directly with a Sports Package or M Package 335i.

If you add in AWD to the 335i it is even closer.

Personally,

If I would choose an '13 S4 over a '13 335i M Package, but I would choose a '13 328i over a '13 A4.

The S4 is just an amazing car all around IMHO. Interior is amazing, car handles great, and the lights are just unmistakeable. Another thing to consider, there are going to be a lot more 335i on the road vs an S4. Lastly, Audi allows you to add in Carbon Fiber Inlays for an additional $500. The Carbon inlays will make the car pop.



I just came out of an Audi S5 and I am extremely interested in the new F30 Coupe. I really hope real photos will surface soon.
That's the EXACT picture that's killing me!!! Urghhhh!
__________________
MODS: *** / M Sport + Performance / Meisterschaft / Challenge / MORR / more to come! ***
Maz335i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #37
VancanfanEdm
Registered
 
Drives: 04 330CI
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

Dumb..

As a guy who drives these cars regularly I would suggest you stop reading the fanboy garbage, drive both and buy the one that turns yer crank more. Both are fantastic cars.. If you really want to confuse the issue drive the new C350 as well... The latest recarnation can finaly be mentioned in the same breathe with these two great cars yer looking at... And Canadian pricing wise competes extremely aggressively..

Cheers..
VancanfanEdm is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #38
Tattedtwice
Private
 
Drives: 2 doors, 4 wheels
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Where the sun always shines

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
That's the EXACT picture that's killing me!!! Urghhhh!
And the exact picture that's killing my eyes. Yuck.
Tattedtwice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #39
Casey 5
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i,SPG,ZSP,ZPP,Step
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Posts: 256
iTrader: (0)

S4 over F30 335i

I had an 07 E90 335i with N54 for 5 years...thought I would get the new F30 335i....but was very disappointed with the N55.

Test drove the S4 and it was no contest...the supercharhed 333 hp in S4 is just superior to the N55 in the 335i in every way shape and form.

I just could not go from the N54 to the N55 and be happy about it...but the sweet 333hp in the S4 sure put a smile on my face.

It's Faster than an F30 335i (yes that is important), better cabin finish, better sound system (yes B&O beats HK by a mile), and is much more exclusive than a BMW 335i.

Let's face it we all see a half dozen 335is every day...the passing of an S4 or S5 on the road is an event.

Go for Power...go for Speed....go for EXCLUSIVITY....go S4.

You will be very happy you did...trust me.
Casey 5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #40
jtuds
Major
 
Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 1.5-2 hrs west of Toronto

Posts: 1,063
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 5 View Post
I had an 07 E90 335i with N54 for 5 years...thought I would get the new F30 335i....but was very disappointed with the N55.

Test drove the S4 and it was no contest...the supercharhed 333 hp in S4 is just superior to the N55 in the 335i in every way shape and form.

I just could not go from the N54 to the N55 and be happy about it...but the sweet 333hp in the S4 sure put a smile on my face.

It's Faster than an F30 335i (yes that is important), better cabin finish, better sound system (yes B&O beats HK by a mile), and is much more exclusive than a BMW 335i.

Let's face it we all see a half dozen 335is every day...the passing of an S4 or S5 on the road is an event.

Go for Power...go for Speed....go for EXCLUSIVITY....go S4.

You will be very happy you did...trust me.
In Canada, if you want it similarly optioned, you spend about 10 grand more.
jtuds is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #41
Bowser330
Captain
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Socal

Posts: 726
iTrader: (0)

I am thinking the M335i will keep the N54 engine with the overboost and extra cooling that is available in the current 335is model...That would leave the N55 engine to the regular 335i...

Either way with a tune and supporting mods these BMW engines really open up...

N55: Modified+Meth N55's are ~400whp & 455wtq
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15476

B8 S4 Modified+100 octane are ~400whp & 385wtq
http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_up...tfsi_b8s4.html

BMW has ~40hp advantage (weighing ~400lbs less)
BMW has 70wtq advantage
BMW costs less
Bowser330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #42
r3dbimmer89
The Coolest
 
r3dbimmer89's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 E92 335i M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SoCal

Posts: 676
iTrader: (0)

I dunno about Canadian prices but currently the 2012 F30 335i sport line is only about a $1000 difference in price when compared to a similarly 2012 S4. For a $1000 the S4 is the better car. The S4 is faster and grips the road better but the 3er is more nimble. For a nicely equipped 2013 F30 335i M sport is about $4000 less than a similarly equipped LCI 2013 S4. Audi has really increased the cost of options on these cars for MY 13 making it not worth to me. They're probably doing the same as far as prices in Canada as well. Who ever said that the S4 is a M3 competitor is smoking something. RS Audis go against ///M cars and Audi S cars go against a BMW ending in 35i.
__________________
Past:08 E90 335i/02 E46 325i
Present:12 E92 335i ///M sport
Future:15 F82 ///M4
r3dbimmer89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #43
Casey 5
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i,SPG,ZSP,ZPP,Step
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chapel Hill, NC

Posts: 256
iTrader: (0)

I think when people talk S4 vs M3 they are talking B8 S4 vs E46 M3. Both rate at 333 HP.

A few years back...the S4 did match to the M3.

Then Audi went to the RS4 with 400+hp.

BMW followed with the V8 E90/E92 M3 with V8 and 400 hp and boosted the 330i to the 335i to match up against the S4.

So at a certain point in car evolution the S4 (which use to be a V8) went straight up against the E46 M3.

But the M3 went North to fight the RS4 and the S4 South to fight the 335i.

Up until then it was always S4 vs M3 head to head because the normally aspirated straight 6 in 330i was no match for the V8 in the S4.

The only thing BMW had to match the S4 was the 333 HP E46 M3.

BTW the E46 M3 blew the V8 S4 away...

But give Audi credit....they kept going back to the drawing board with sharper and sharper pencils....meanwhile I think BMW got complacent.

The new F30 335i is just not enough.
Casey 5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #44
jtuds
Major
 
Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 1.5-2 hrs west of Toronto

Posts: 1,063
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancanfanEdm View Post
As a guy who drives these cars regularly I would suggest you stop reading the fanboy garbage, drive both and buy the one that turns yer crank more. Both are fantastic cars.. If you really want to confuse the issue drive the new C350 as well... The latest recarnation can finaly be mentioned in the same breathe with these two great cars yer looking at... And Canadian pricing wise competes extremely aggressively..

Cheers..
Thank you for saying this. I've spent a good 1-2 hours in each of the S4, 335i and C350 4matic in the last few months. I was actually driving them and putting them through their paces, then sitting in the cars and trying to figure out the tech features.

I do have opinions and preferences, and they come from my experience in the cars, not speculation, pictures, and what I heard from someone else.
jtuds is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST