F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 3-Series Sedan / F32 4-Series Coupe Forum > My 435xi Msport quarter mile drag strip times
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
Mik3ymomo
Private
 
Drives: 94 Mazda RX7 with LS3/T56
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

My 435xi Msport quarter mile drag strip times

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I had been looking for some official 1/4 mile times on the car and I just haven't seen anything reliable. I went today to see what the car would do with me driving it.

Car has 3100 miles and is an 8 speed auto. I had never used or tried launch control so I only got it to work on my last of 4 runs. It was my best time but barely. I didn't give it any more runs to learn the track so maybe it would have gone slightly faster I don't know.

1st run (not showing slip in photo)
13.5
2nd run
13.33
3rd run
13.39@104
4th run
13.33@104 (only run using launch control)

Was about 58 degrees out on my last and fastest run. Only ran 4 times and was consistent enough I didn't think it would get much faster.

Basically all were at 104 mph or just hundredths of a mph below.

Even when the launch control wasn't activating I was power braking so seemed to have pretty much same effect.

I actually cut my best 60ft without launch control but best ET was with Launch control on the last run.


Name:  fb4b545e66b656baea549c0079e20ff0.jpg
Views: 15554
Size:  250.7 KB

Name:  b71df8285958cdc43a79910af89e1845.jpg
Views: 15525
Size:  177.2 KB




Mik3ymomo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
gonein10
Private
 
gonein10's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 x5D 2014 435i
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: mississauga

Posts: 65
iTrader: (0)

for an all-wheel drive vehicle you'd think the 60' would be better.
Still 13.3 for a stock car, respectable. Great job
gonein10 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
tdizzle
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 335i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

Posts: 1,511
iTrader: (0)

Nice. I always like to see these.

One day I'll get out there and run mine. Seems fun if not a bit intimidating first time out.
tdizzle is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
auf Deutsche
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: '14 435xi M sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown, Pa

Posts: 344
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 435xi  [4.50]
13.3@104 is very promising. You're completely stock, right?
__________________
'14 435i EBII xDrive/M sport/DHP/cold weather/HK/black kidneys/SS pedals/MPE/PPK
auf Deutsche is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Mik3ymomo
Private
 
Drives: 94 Mazda RX7 with LS3/T56
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsche View Post
13.3@104 is very promising. You're completely stock, right?
Yes bone stock, its my wife's car actually.
Mik3ymomo is offline  
+1
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,430
iTrader: (3)

I think another tenth off your 60ft is not out of the question which would give you a 13.15-13.2@104+

PPK alone would have you then in the 12's!
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
Mik3ymomo
Private
 
Drives: 94 Mazda RX7 with LS3/T56
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I think another tenth off your 60ft is not out of the question which would give you a 13.15-13.2@104+

PPK alone would have you then in the 12's!
I was thinking it is probably capable of it if launch control would actually launch it harder. I have spent 4 hours at the track and saw what it was running so I didn't expect a lot more.
It's a good baseline for people, there is so little documented 1/4 runs of the 435xi I figured it would help out the community at large and satisfy my own curiosity.

I read Motor Trends long term test of the 435xi with the JB4 is running 12.8x with nothing other then the JB4.

Does seem the potential is there. Once they sort out the electronic waste gate issues. Should be an ass hauling coupe with simply the JB4.
Seems crazy that these large cars run these times right out of the box already.
Mik3ymomo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #8
chetman7
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 435ix
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: NY

Posts: 238
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
I was thinking it is probably capable of it if launch control would actually launch it harder. I have spent 4 hours at the track and saw what it was running so I didn't expect a lot more.
It's a good baseline for people, there is so little documented 1/4 runs of the 435xi I figured it would help out the community at large and satisfy my own curiosity.

I read Motor Trends long term test of the 435xi with the JB4 is running 12.8x with nothing other then the JB4.

Does seem the potential is there. Once they sort out the electronic waste gate issues. Should be an ass hauling coupe with simply the JB4.
Seems crazy that these large cars run these times right out of the box already.
Do you have the link to that article?
chetman7 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #9
EJL
Private
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 86
iTrader: (5)

How was your traction out of the box? Last time I was at Atco there was no way to bypass the waterbox?
EJL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #10
Mik3ymomo
Private
 
Drives: 94 Mazda RX7 with LS3/T56
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJL View Post
How was your traction out of the box? Last time I was at Atco there was no way to bypass the waterbox?
I drove around it best I could. I might have slightly touched it but I didn't spin the tires leaving. AWD is cool that way.
It slightly spun rear tires my first run when track was still cold but the center diff must have locked up cause it only lasted for a split second.

Rest of runs I used left lane and no spin at all.
Mik3ymomo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #11
tdizzle
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 335i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

Posts: 1,511
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
I drove around it best I could. I might have slightly touched it but I didn't spin the tires leaving. AWD is cool that way.
It slightly spun rear tires my first run when track was still cold but the center diff must have locked up cause it only lasted for a split second.

Rest of runs I used left lane and no spin at all.
What setting did you run in (sport+, traction all off! etc.)?
tdizzle is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 03:50 PM   #12
Mik3ymomo
Private
 
Drives: 94 Mazda RX7 with LS3/T56
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
What setting did you run in (sport+, traction all off! etc.)?
All runs is Sport + with shifter pulled to M/S. I still let it shift itself.
All runs power brake trying to get it into launch mode but it only actually gave me the checkered flag on the last run.
Mik3ymomo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #13
auf Deutsche
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: '14 435xi M sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Downingtown, Pa

Posts: 344
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 435xi  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetman7 View Post
Do you have the link to that article?
+1 That's the first I've heard of that.
__________________
'14 435i EBII xDrive/M sport/DHP/cold weather/HK/black kidneys/SS pedals/MPE/PPK
auf Deutsche is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #14
300hp
Colonel
 
Drives: X5 & 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 2,380
iTrader: (0)

What kind if tires do you have?
__________________
EBII 2014 335i xDrive
335HP, Sport AT, 19" Wheels, MPE, Prem, Tech, Cold, HK, Driver Assist & DH pkgs

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
300hp is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #15
Steve33
Lieutenant
 
Steve33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 555
iTrader: (0)

Wait so the launch control run you did was the one you jumped? Interesting that LC was actually slower
Steve33 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #16
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
 
drob23's Avatar
 
Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan

Posts: 1,531
iTrader: (1)

What was the density altitude where you were at? You should be able to check a history online. Plays a huge role, easily could add/subtract .5 sec in the et. Probably the only benefit of all this ungodly cold weather lol...

Also curious about tires. Looks like you were running pretty consistent times!
drob23 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #17
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
 
drob23's Avatar
 
Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan

Posts: 1,531
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
Wait so the launch control run you did was the one you jumped? Interesting that LC was actually slower
Same thing has been observed on the S4 DCT. To me, LC seems more useful on a RWD car, since you aren't really traction limited on the AWD launch. It's even the case that LC is slower for GIAC tuned S4's (the DSG TCU flash), which has raised launch control to 4k RPM.

It's quite possible the ECU is somehow limiting engine torque in light of using LC. No one here has really convinced me that launch control is even needed for an autobox, since you can just brake torque it for even more torque than you'd normally have at a given engine load. Not to mention the turbo is tuned pretty well for low RPM's (also VANOS on the exhaust cams), so it should be pretty hard to bog down the N55. I.e. you don't need to launch the N55 at 5k RPM to avoid lag like you might with some other engines.

Last edited by drob23; 02-23-2014 at 04:52 PM.
drob23 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
EJL
Private
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 86
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
What was the density altitude where you were at? You should be able to check a history online. Plays a huge role, easily could add/subtract .5 sec in the et. Probably the only benefit of all this ungodly cold weather lol...

Also curious about tires. Looks like you were running pretty consistent times!
In Atco it was about 30-45% humidity, 29.9 inches holding steady, about 58 degrees F, and I don't know the raceway's exact height, but that area is about 75 feet above sea level.
EJL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #19
EJL
Private
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 86
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Not to mention one of the turbos in the twin scroll is tuned pretty well for low RPM's (also VANOS on the exhaust cams), so it should be pretty hard to bog down the N55.
The N55 has only one twin scroll turbo. Twin scroll means the exhaust gases are separated, but there is still one turbo.
EJL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #20
300hp
Colonel
 
Drives: X5 & 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 2,380
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJL
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
What was the density altitude where you were at? You should be able to check a history online. Plays a huge role, easily could add/subtract .5 sec in the et. Probably the only benefit of all this ungodly cold weather lol...

Also curious about tires. Looks like you were running pretty consistent times!
In Atco it was about 30-45% humidity, 29.9 inches holding steady, about 58 degrees F, and I don't know the raceway's exact height, but that area is about 75 feet above sea level.
Both of us are keen to know the type if tires you have on the 4er
__________________
EBII 2014 335i xDrive
335HP, Sport AT, 19" Wheels, MPE, Prem, Tech, Cold, HK, Driver Assist & DH pkgs

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
300hp is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #21
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
 
drob23's Avatar
 
Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan

Posts: 1,531
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJL View Post
The N55 has only one twin scroll turbo. Twin scroll means the exhaust gases are separated, but there is still one turbo.
Ah, I see, my fault (I guess if it had 2 turbos it would be twin turbo lol).

For the DA - go check this chart - http://airdensityonline.com/trackFor...9.795604350248

Edit - ugh bad link above (it's a prediction, not history), for DA check out dragtimes.com calculator here (have to turn off ad-block)
http://www.dragtimes.com/da-density-...4&time=2:54 PM

It fluctuates a lot, but judging from what you've said, you had pretty favorable conditions so I'd guess your time might nearly be a "lower bound" for stock 435ix 1/4 mile et's.
drob23 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #22
EJL
Private
 
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 86
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post

It fluctuates a lot, but judging from what you've said, you had pretty favorable conditions so I'd guess your time might nearly be a "lower bound" for stock 435ix 1/4 mile et's.
I wasn't the one at the track. I just live nearby. Looks like the OP's numbers are a pretty good gauge since todays conditions were relatively ideal.
EJL is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:51 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST