F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Castrol Edge vs Mobil 1
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-27-2013, 03:21 AM   #1
KITT
New Member
 
Drives: Black KITT F30 328i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Singapore

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Castrol Edge vs Mobil 1

Hi hi,

Any one using any one of the above engine oil for your F30?

😆

Tks
KITT is offline   Singapore
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
Thrillbilly
Rear Admiral
 
Thrillbilly's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lago

Posts: 279
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 335ix  [0.00]
I just did my own oil change at 6000k and I use Mobil 1. I plan on doing oil changes mid-way through each of the dealer recommended changes, as this car will be with me for a long time, hopefully.
Thrillbilly is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
mikew2069
Major
 
mikew2069's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,311
iTrader: (1)

Good topic. I'd like to take it one step further and just ask, for those of you doing your own oil changes, what exactly are you using?

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/03/11...ommended-oils/
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

Thrillbilly - I take it you used M1 0-40?
__________________
2013 F30 335i ///M-Sport
Forgestar/Challenge/BMS JB4
Wagner/Evo Race/M-Performance
mikew2069 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Thrillbilly
Rear Admiral
 
Thrillbilly's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lago

Posts: 279
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 335ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Good topic. I'd like to take it one step further and just ask, for those of you doing your own oil changes, what exactly are you using?

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2009/03/11...ommended-oils/
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ngineOils.aspx

Thrillbilly - I take it you used M1 0-40?
Negative, 5w30, although I have access to the 0w40 for the same price but have always had good luck with 5w30. I don't think it makes much difference if you're in a temperate climate and are changing more frequently than recommended by BMW. I'm sure it'd run fine if I took the used oil from my motorcycle and put it in...and no, Im not gonna try to prove that theory. Speaking of which, was actually thinking about going to Amsoil as it has worked great on my motos, but its a bit pricier and not sure it's worth the extra $ for a non-track car. They sell an LL-04 branded synthetic. http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...tic-motor-oil/

Last edited by Thrillbilly; 01-27-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Thrillbilly is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Number
 
Number's Avatar
 
Drives: ✚
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ✚ ✚

Posts: 1,147
iTrader: (1)

I am also doing oil changes half way through the BMW-recommended schedule. I went with Mobil 1 0w40. I know this is silly, but I like the Mobil 1 logo better. hahaha.
Number is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #6
diesel86
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 184
iTrader: (0)

I changed mine at 6k and used the M1 0W-40 I found at Wal-Mart and used an OEM BMW filter from the dealer. Given that these are in-betweener oil changes, I guess I didn't have to use an LL-01 approved oil, but figured it since it wasn't anymore expensive why not use it anyway.
__________________
2012 328i Sportline - Black Sapphire Metallic - 8AT Sport

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
diesel86 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Rover
Private First Class
 
Drives: 3 series
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: mountain states

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

Oil

Better check with BMW. Mobil One may not be recommended. It used to be recommended when nothing else was available.

The independent mechanic I use....tells me Mobil One does not match with BMW specs on my 2007 328i engine. This is a guy...who really knows Beemers. He also said that you don't want to run oil thicker than what is prescribed as these new engines have some very small oil passages.

So..I will be using the prescribed BMW oil for my interim changes...on my ordered f30.

Also....just read that Bob of Bob The Oil Guy (an independent oil test site)...drives a Beemer...and uses only BMW oil.

Last edited by Rover; 02-12-2013 at 11:27 PM.
Rover is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
mikew2069
Major
 
mikew2069's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,311
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Also....just read that Bob of Bob The Oil Guy (an independent oil test site)...drives a Beemer...and uses only BMW oil.
That's interesting - Bob is legit. I was thinking about using Mobil 1 in a 1000 miles or so. Guess I'll have to do some research.
__________________
2013 F30 335i ///M-Sport
Forgestar/Challenge/BMS JB4
Wagner/Evo Race/M-Performance
mikew2069 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Thrillbilly
Rear Admiral
 
Thrillbilly's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lago

Posts: 279
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 335ix  [0.00]
Because castrol edge 5w30 is so much better for my bmw than Mobil 1? There is also a warning not to add oil additives...so, sans oil additives the difference between the two in a non-tracked car should be negligible. At my first scheduled service I fully expect my bmw dealership (one of the most incompetent I've ever seen) to berate me because I set off their non-castrol oil detectors.
Attached Images
 
Thrillbilly is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
      04-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #10
utenigma
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx (Frisco)

Posts: 456
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I use Redline 5w30
utenigma is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
diesel86
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 184
iTrader: (0)

For those who don't like to read, I will make this real easy:

MOBIL 1 0W-40 IS A BMW LL-01 APPROVED OIL!


Here is a quote directly from the BMW website:

"The oils listed below meet BMW's Long-life rating and are acceptable for use in BMW Passenger vehicles and SAVs in the US market with gasoline engines.

BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30

Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40

Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30

Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30"


Thank you. That is all.
__________________
2012 328i Sportline - Black Sapphire Metallic - 8AT Sport

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
diesel86 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #12
Rover
Private First Class
 
Drives: 3 series
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: mountain states

Posts: 195
iTrader: (0)

A paragraph before the one referenced below, reads....that if you need to top off your oil, and BMW oil is not available, you can use any of the following.

So to me...it is not clear if these four oils are OK for continual use...or for topping off only.

I attended an oil seminar at the BMW MOA National Convention....and became a believer that there is a difference in the composition (additives) of various oils. Engine structures and engine materials differ from auto maker to maker. And the recommended oils have the necessary additives for the various engine structures, materials, tolerances, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post
For those who don't like to read, I will make this real easy:





MOBIL 1 0W-40 IS A BMW LL-01 APPROVED OIL!


Here is a quote directly from the BMW website:

"The oils listed below meet BMW's Long-life rating and are acceptable for use in BMW Passenger vehicles and SAVs in the US market with gasoline engines.

BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Approved Synthetic Oils for the US Market:

Castrol Syntec European Formula SAE 0W-30

Mobil 1 SAE 0W-40

Pennzoil Platinum European Formula Ultra SAE 5W-30

Valvoline SynPower SAE 5W-30"


Thank you. That is all.

Last edited by Rover; 05-17-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Rover is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
diesel86
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
A paragraph before the one referenced below, reads....that if you need to top off your oil, and BMW oil is not available, you can use any of the following.

So to me...it is not clear if these four oils are OK for continual use...or for topping off only.

I attended an oil seminar at the BMW MOA National Convention....and became a believer that there is a difference in the composition (additives) of various oils. Engine structures and engine materials differ from auto maker to maker. And the recommended oils have the necessary additives for the various engine structures, materials, tolerances, etc.
I agree that it's not 100% crystal clear, but my interpretation is that BMW wants you to use the BMW/Castrol oil (obviously), but if you don't want to, you can use A, B or C.

There is one thing I am convinced of and will never (yes, I said never) believe, is that a an engine with genuine BMW/Castrol used for 15k miles is better protected than one which uses a non-BMW/Castrol LL-01 oil changed at 7.5k.
__________________
2012 328i Sportline - Black Sapphire Metallic - 8AT Sport

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
diesel86 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #14
mikew2069
Major
 
mikew2069's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,311
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post
I agree that it's not 100% crystal clear, but my interpretation is that BMW wants you to use the BMW/Castrol oil (obviously), but if you don't want to, you can use A, B or C.

There is one thing I am convinced of and will never (yes, I said never) believe, is that a an engine with genuine BMW/Castrol used for 15k miles is better protected than one which uses a non-BMW/Castrol LL-01 oil changed at 7.5k.
Yea I agree with that as well.
__________________
2013 F30 335i ///M-Sport
Forgestar/Challenge/BMS JB4
Wagner/Evo Race/M-Performance
mikew2069 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #15
Thrillbilly
Rear Admiral
 
Thrillbilly's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lago

Posts: 279
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 335ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post

There is one thing I am convinced of and will never (yes, I said never) believe, is that a an engine with genuine BMW/Castrol used for 15k miles is better protected than one which uses a non-BMW/Castrol LL-01 oil changed at 7.5k.
Amen
__________________
Thrillbilly is offline   Belgium
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST