F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N55 - F30 - 335i Muffler delete
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
nsquared
[Versatile]
 
nsquared's Avatar
 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

Posts: 1,509
iTrader: (0)

N55 - F30 - 335i Muffler delete

Has anyone done it yet or considered doing it?
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
nsquared is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
verbs
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 524
iTrader: (0)

If you're going to do it you gotta go all out and add a huge rear spoiler too.
verbs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
nsquared
[Versatile]
 
nsquared's Avatar
 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

Posts: 1,509
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
If you're going to do it you gotta go all out and add a huge rear spoiler too.
Funny, but if you actually do some searching, lots of N55 owners (E90/E92) delete their mufflers and it sounds pretty darn good.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
nsquared is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #4
AntBabeee
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 569
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
No haven't thought of that. I wouldn't do it with this car. Lol. I did the golf tee mod though.
__________________
F30 BMW 335i M-Sport: Estoril Blue II, 19" Rims, Sports Auto, Premium, Technology, Harmon Kardon, Heated Front Seats, Driver Assistance...
AntBabeee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
nsquared
[Versatile]
 
nsquared's Avatar
 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

Posts: 1,509
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee View Post
No haven't thought of that. I wouldn't do it with this car. Lol. I did the golf tee mod though.
Is the golf tee mod inside the muffler or?
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
nsquared is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
dcg71
Captain
 
Drives: F30 335i Sport BSM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 830
iTrader: (2)

I drove a few kms with the muffler off when I installed my performance exhaust. Pretty much unbearable if you ask me.
__________________
------------------------------
2012 F30 335i Sapphire Black Sport Line | ///M Performance Exhaust | ///M Performance Suspension | ///M Performance 405M Wheels
2006 E92 325i Titan Silver
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black
dcg71 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
nsquared
[Versatile]
 
nsquared's Avatar
 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

Posts: 1,509
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
I drove a few kms with the muffler off when I installed my performance exhaust. Pretty much unbearable if you ask me.
Oh crap. So is the stock muffler bolted on or did you have to do some cutting?
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
nsquared is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Artem@ONEighty
Lieutenant
 
Artem@ONEighty's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 517
iTrader: (2)

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=785138

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13307601
Artem@ONEighty is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
NateDog07V
Private First Class
 
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport BSM/CoralRed
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Arlington, VA

Posts: 118
iTrader: (0)

Sounds awesome... reminds me of my 07 CTS-V w/ muffler delete... u get any annoying drone on the highway? i take it you just ran straight pipes in place of the stock muffler? pics from underneath would be most appreciated
NateDog07V is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
nsquared
[Versatile]
 
nsquared's Avatar
 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

Posts: 1,509
iTrader: (0)

Thanks.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
nsquared is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
nsquared
[Versatile]
 
nsquared's Avatar
 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

Posts: 1,509
iTrader: (0)

Was it easy to modify the muffler part? Was it bolted on or did you have to cut it out?
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
nsquared is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
AntBabeee
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 569
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
Is the golf tee mod inside the muffler or?
The flap is on the left pipe. use exhaust wire to tie the flap in place after you remove the spring/clip no need to unplug wires so it throws no code. you can hear backfire when in sport mode.

also i like how it dirtys up both exhaust tips, looks better then just the right side being black. haha

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761453

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684397
__________________
F30 BMW 335i M-Sport: Estoril Blue II, 19" Rims, Sports Auto, Premium, Technology, Harmon Kardon, Heated Front Seats, Driver Assistance...
AntBabeee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
nsquared
[Versatile]
 
nsquared's Avatar
 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

Posts: 1,509
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntBabeee View Post
The flap is on the left pipe. use exhaust wire to tie the flap in place after you remove the spring/clip no need to unplug wires so it throws no code. you can hear backfire when in sport mode.

also i like how it dirtys up both exhaust tips, looks better then just the right side being black. haha

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761453

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684397
Thanks for the info and links.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
nsquared is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #14
dcg71
Captain
 
Drives: F30 335i Sport BSM
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 830
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsquared View Post
Oh crap. So is the stock muffler bolted on or did you have to do some cutting?
Pipe was cut by a shop, the stock one isn't clamped.
__________________
------------------------------
2012 F30 335i Sapphire Black Sport Line | ///M Performance Exhaust | ///M Performance Suspension | ///M Performance 405M Wheels
2006 E92 325i Titan Silver
2000 E46 318i Cosmos Black
dcg71 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #15
nsquared
[Versatile]
 
nsquared's Avatar
 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

Posts: 1,509
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcg71 View Post
Pipe was cut by a shop, the stock one isn't clamped.
Snaps. Nvm on doing a custom muffler.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
nsquared is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #16
TreDirtyFive
Captain
 
Drives: 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 908
iTrader: (8)

"get a gun" aka rafael has straight pipes from downpipe back on his 335i and it sounds amazing....it's somewhat subtle on idle and he claims there is no real droning esp. driving 2 hours to meet a group of us guys for some coding but it does sound like a roided M3 when he revs the thing, complete with overrun burbles and pops. It's got me thinking about gutting or removing my muffler!
__________________
335 F30 MSport: N55.Tech.NAV.+
135 DCT:N55.Prem.Sports.NAV.IPod
X-335 E92: Prem.Sports.NAV.IPod
Audi A3: Sports.Tech.NAV.sways.DP.K2 Coils.Flash.etc
X-67 Baracuda Fastback: DragGears.Sway.etc.
TreDirtyFive is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
Artem@ONEighty
Lieutenant
 
Artem@ONEighty's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 517
iTrader: (2)

I just got rid of the muffler... cutting had to be done to remove the OEM muffler and new pipes were welded with exhaust tips. It sounds amazing but does get a little annoying on the highway with some drone. I just purchased a resonator I plan on adding in to this setup to get rid of some drone.

BTW... the video does no justice, this absolutely sounds amazing I get compliments everywhere I go. Will try to make a better video sometime this week or next.
Artem@ONEighty is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #18
roundel335
Brigadier General
 
roundel335's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wilmington, NC

Posts: 3,286
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Has anyone installed the M-Performance exhaust on a 335i yet, and if so, how does it sound? I've ordered my F30 335i with this installed and am curious. The BMW Performance Exhaust on my wife's 128i is really nice, although a bit loud. No drone, though. The Dinan free-flow on my E92 is just right, so I'm hoping this new exhaust will be about the same.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #19
mikew2069
Major
 
mikew2069's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,310
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem@ONEighty View Post
I just got rid of the muffler... cutting had to be done to remove the OEM muffler and new pipes were welded with exhaust tips. It sounds amazing but does get a little annoying on the highway with some drone. I just purchased a resonator I plan on adding in to this setup to get rid of some drone.

BTW... the video does no justice, this absolutely sounds amazing I get compliments everywhere I go. Will try to make a better video sometime this week or next.
I'm curious, aside from the drone, how is the overall volume increase inside the car with the windows up under normal acceleration and cruising?
__________________
2013 F30 335i ///M-Sport
Forgestar/Challenge/BMS JB4
Wagner/Evo Race/M-Performance
mikew2069 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #20
nsquared
[Versatile]
 
nsquared's Avatar
 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

Posts: 1,509
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
"get a gun" aka rafael has straight pipes from downpipe back on his 335i and it sounds amazing....it's somewhat subtle on idle and he claims there is no real droning esp. driving 2 hours to meet a group of us guys for some coding but it does sound like a roided M3 when he revs the thing, complete with overrun burbles and pops. It's got me thinking about gutting or removing my muffler!
The drone is my second concern aside from cutting out my OEM muffler lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem@ONEighty View Post
I just got rid of the muffler... cutting had to be done to remove the OEM muffler and new pipes were welded with exhaust tips. It sounds amazing but does get a little annoying on the highway with some drone. I just purchased a resonator I plan on adding in to this setup to get rid of some drone.

BTW... the video does no justice, this absolutely sounds amazing I get compliments everywhere I go. Will try to make a better video sometime this week or next.
Where would you add the resonator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Has anyone installed the M-Performance exhaust on a 335i yet, and if so, how does it sound? I've ordered my F30 335i with this installed and am curious. The BMW Performance Exhaust on my wife's 128i is really nice, although a bit loud. No drone, though. The Dinan free-flow on my E92 is just right, so I'm hoping this new exhaust will be about the same.
There are tons of videos on the M-performance exhaust. It sounds good but in my honest opinion, not that great. I've heard it in person and its like stock but a bit louder and deeper. Its worth a consideration, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
I'm curious, aside from the drone, how is the overall volume increase inside the car with the windows up under normal acceleration and cruising?
I'm sure there is. The drone is an issue though.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
nsquared is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 01:51 PM   #21
Artem@ONEighty
Lieutenant
 
Artem@ONEighty's Avatar
 
Drives: ZCP M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NYC

Posts: 517
iTrader: (2)

Just received my resonator in the mail today. Not sure where I will add it but I'll find some place as soon as I get this going. Will keep everyone up to date.
Artem@ONEighty is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
nsquared
[Versatile]
 
nsquared's Avatar
 
Drives: (S)LOW.
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California & Utah

Posts: 1,509
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem@ONEighty View Post
Just received my resonator in the mail today. Not sure where I will add it but I'll find some place as soon as I get this going. Will keep everyone up to date.
Sounds good. Thanks for all the info.
__________________
'13 AW F30 335i ///M-Sport 6MT. OEM(+).

[Liquid Innovations] [Envisions] [Rob's Speed Shop]
nsquared is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST