F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA > F30 328i Tunes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)

F30 328i Tunes

Anyone ready or game to buy & install either the new N20 JB Stage 1 from Burger Motorsports or AFE's Scorcher?

I had the BMS Powerbox from Burger in my E90 for 2 years without issue. A great boost for the 325i, so I'm sure the JB would be superb for the 328i.

I have read various posts on the N20 tuning threads and people who have bought & installed it are thrilled.

The good thing about the N20 units is how easy they are to install & uninstall. So you can enjoy additional power & torque - not that the 328i lacks it - with it installed but if you need to service the car at the dealer, easy enough to disconnect & remove.

I'm thinking about it. What are your thoughts???
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
J1n
Major
 
Drives: F13 640 MSport+Superchips Pro2
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

Posts: 1,468
iTrader: (0)

What's the power gain and how much does it cost?
J1n is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Hivetyrant
Private
 
Drives: AW 328i - Sports
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

Will definitely look into this, the price alone seems damn good for the supposed performance increase.

Would love to know if anyone else has given one a try
Hivetyrant is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
Spikey
Captain
 
Drives: erratically
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: around town~

Posts: 755
iTrader: (0)

I am keen on the tunes, like the BMS N20 one but I still want to wait around for something like COBB's flash tune to compare.

No doubt the BMS tune is great bang for buck, but I'm still holding out waiting for more stories/feedback first. I've had the BMS PBX in my E92 as well and it was great but I put that in after many many many other people had given their feedback/reviews/longer term use etc ...
Spikey is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #5
Dabaitu
Colonel
 
Drives: anything given a chance
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: .au

Posts: 2,846
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Do it.
Dabaitu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
What's the power gain and how much does it cost?
Sorry, should have done this in my OP:

http://burgertuning.com/N20_BMW_performance_Tuner.html

http://afepower.com/shop/details_new...0L&&brandID=90
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivetyrant View Post
Would love to know if anyone else has given one a try
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761744

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=695431

Cheers
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
Do it.
Oh I will.

Just haven't as yet even 'broken the engine in' yet. Still under 2000kms. Getting there.

Probably go with JB Stage 1 unit.

Now I wonder if they will have a Xmas special???
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
Dabaitu
Colonel
 
Drives: anything given a chance
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: .au

Posts: 2,846
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I hear you on break in. I've just clicked past 6k and it's freeing up nicely.
Dabaitu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #10
Spikey
Captain
 
Drives: erratically
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: around town~

Posts: 755
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Oh I will.

Just haven't as yet even 'broken the engine in' yet. Still under 2000kms. Getting there.

Probably go with JB Stage 1 unit.

Now I wonder if they will have a Xmas special???
Hit up Stu for a X-mas price
Spikey is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #11
minijet
Lieutenant
 
minijet's Avatar
 
Drives: SOLD…Ex F30 328i in Tanz
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 467
iTrader: (0)

My thoughts coming from a modified 135i N54.

Not planning any engine mods for my 328i but...

If i was to mod, i would wait until someone like cobb came out with a flash tune. I had both procede and JB previous and none of them compared to the smoothness (and for me power) of the Cobb.

Cobb is also much easier to install and uninstall as it was all via the ODB port.

My thoughts are if you really want piggybacks, then to wait a little as the N20 is still relatively new hence the product development is not as far advanced. I would rather others test it out for a while until i can get enough documented proof of its performance and safety.

just my 2 cents.



Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Anyone ready or game to buy & install either the new N20 JB Stage 1 from Burger Motorsports or AFE's Scorcher?

I had the BMS Powerbox from Burger in my E90 for 2 years without issue. A great boost for the 325i, so I'm sure the JB would be superb for the 328i.

I have read various posts on the N20 tuning threads and people who have bought & installed it are thrilled.

The good thing about the N20 units is how easy they are to install & uninstall. So you can enjoy additional power & torque - not that the 328i lacks it - with it installed but if you need to service the car at the dealer, easy enough to disconnect & remove.

I'm thinking about it. What are your thoughts???
minijet is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
Hit up Stu for a X-mas price
What a great idea!!!
Ok Stu, how about it?





Who's Stu?
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
Spikey
Captain
 
Drives: erratically
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: around town~

Posts: 755
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Who's Stu?
lol .. PM bmroxm5

He's Stu from bmrautowerkes, our friendly local vendor
Spikey is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
555
Doing it for TV!
 
555's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 170
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijet View Post
My thoughts coming from a modified 135i N54.

Not planning any engine mods for my 328i but...

If i was to mod, i would wait until someone like cobb came out with a flash tune. I had both procede and JB previous and none of them compared to the smoothness (and for me power) of the Cobb.

Cobb is also much easier to install and uninstall as it was all via the ODB port.

My thoughts are if you really want piggybacks, then to wait a little as the N20 is still relatively new hence the product development is not as far advanced. I would rather others test it out for a while until i can get enough documented proof of its performance and safety.

just my 2 cents.
I'm waiting for a flash tune as well - Over the piggybacks.. (still have one sitting at home [Active Autowerkes] from when I went to Procede in the 135)

The minute there is a flash available - car would be dropped off at Southern BM for install.
__________________
2008 135i - Jet Black, Coral, full options Procede v4
2009 123d - Space Grey, MSport 18" (decided to keep it)
2010 C63 AMG - White, custom tune, custom exhaust 319rwkw

delivered: 2012 328i - Estoril Blue MSport 19", BBK + options
555 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
J1n
Major
 
Drives: F13 640 MSport+Superchips Pro2
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

Posts: 1,468
iTrader: (0)

Does these sort of tuning devices void warranty or mess with the driving dynamics?
J1n is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
Spikey
Captain
 
Drives: erratically
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: around town~

Posts: 755
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
Does these sort of tuning devices void warranty or mess with the driving dynamics?
warranty? well... if you have a piggyback type tune, leaving it in and/or having codes that indicate such tunes may make warranty claims related to drivetrain/engine etc a little harder if they're in plain sight. Also depends on the dealership and how much of an arse they want to be about it.

driving dynamics? "improved" is one word that should coem to mind after flashing or installing a tune.. lol
Spikey is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
J1n
Major
 
Drives: F13 640 MSport+Superchips Pro2
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne CBD

Posts: 1,468
iTrader: (0)

MmmMm worrying
J1n is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #18
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
warranty? well... if you have a piggyback type tune, leaving it in and/or having codes that indicate such tunes may make warranty claims related to drivetrain/engine etc a little harder if they're in plain sight.
The beauty of these piggyback tuning units is they can be installed and removed very quickly - in minutes - as all wiring connections are around the engine and the electronics box can be mounted almost anywhere safely under the hood.

So if you need to take the unit off for dealer servicing/warranty work, you can do so very easily, then replace it after you get your car back.

These 2 tunes don't 'mess' with the driving dynamics, they enhance it.
J1n, both are relatively mild tunes and they are not worrying at all.

Based on my experience with BMS, I will probably buy a JB, just not sure when.
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 04:39 AM   #19
Dabaitu
Colonel
 
Drives: anything given a chance
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: .au

Posts: 2,846
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Going to weigh in a bit on this one. Constructive criticism all, I trust no one gets their back up. (commenting on tunes can make some people froth at the mouth...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijet View Post
My thoughts coming from a modified 135i N54.

Not planning any engine mods for my 328i but...

If i was to mod, i would wait until someone like cobb came out with a flash tune. I had both procede and JB previous and none of them compared to the smoothness (and for me power) of the Cobb.

Cobb is also much easier to install and uninstall as it was all via the ODB port.

My thoughts are if you really want piggybacks, then to wait a little as the N20 is still relatively new hence the product development is not as far advanced. I would rather others test it out for a while until i can get enough documented proof of its performance and safety.

just my 2 cents.
well said, I agree. I proper, custom ECU tune is preferable to a piggy IMO, even given the advanced nature of the piggy's out there now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1n View Post
Does these sort of tuning devices void warranty or mess with the driving dynamics?
Yes (Spikey's got it right in his reply) and you "gots to pay to play", and potentially yes. The BMS stuff for the N54 was very ham-fisted IMO, as it didn't deal with Timing until much later in the development piece instead relying on the DME to deal with it, which is in no way ideal, and well after their main competitors (Cobb and Vishnu).

It was a blunt-instrument type of tune, generally loved by people who like to drag-strip their cars. Before the haters and flamers come out, I acknowledge there's nothing wrong with that if that's your thing, I'll just opt for refinement and advanced techniques over a sledgehammer. Cheap, effective, but not something I'd run long-term. Had a JB4, sent it back after a week of testing and logging. Didn't look back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
warranty? well... if you have a piggyback type tune, leaving it in and/or having codes that indicate such tunes may make warranty claims related to drivetrain/engine etc a little harder if they're in plain sight. Also depends on the dealership and how much of an arse they want to be about it.

driving dynamics? "improved" is one word that should coem to mind after flashing or installing a tune.. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
The beauty of these piggyback tuning units is they can be installed and removed very quickly - in minutes - as all wiring connections are around the engine and the electronics box can be mounted almost anywhere safely under the hood.

So if you need to take the unit off for dealer servicing/warranty work, you can do so very easily, then replace it after you get your car back.

These 2 tunes don't 'mess' with the driving dynamics, they enhance it.
J1n, both are relatively mild tunes and they are not worrying at all.

Based on my experience with BMS, I will probably buy a JB, just not sure when.
Sure, it's easy to remove, and you might even be able to remove it prior to servicing, but good luck removing the tuner codes that get flagged on your car. Yes, they exist. Given the local dealerships have increasing less authorisation (as a result of people modding and removing after something goes spang) to do a warranty repair you can come unstuck. The car is plugged in and diagnostics uploaded to BMW DE for analysis and approval in many cases, particularly drive-train related issues.

But hey, your car and your wallet, whatever you do with it is no one's issue but yours!

In closing, for those after more power and worry about warranty, the only and safest route to go is the BMW Power Kit when it eventually comes out coupled with the M Performance exhaust, which you'll probably have to import/ get through Stu. You won't be the quickest BMW out there (but you don't buy a 328i for that) but you'll have a thrilling machine nonetheless.

The real joy in this car is the handling for me. The engine is no slouch, but it's a great setup with the M Adaptive or M-sport. Any idiot can go fast in a straight line, but real drivers know how to use the big round thing their hands rest on

I know I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with their cars in the years ahead.
Dabaitu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #20
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
Sure, it's easy to remove, and you might even be able to remove it prior to servicing, but good luck removing the tuner codes that get flagged on your car. Yes, they exist. Given the local dealerships have increasing less authorisation (as a result of people modding and removing after something goes spang) to do a warranty repair you can come unstuck. The car is plugged in and diagnostics uploaded to BMW DE for analysis and approval in many cases, particularly drive-train related issues.
For those with the above valid concern, you could buy and install tune after warranty period finishes if it is a problem for anyone. No need to return to the dealer for service. Have SouthernBM (Melbourne) or your State's equivalent independent look after servicing from that time. Put any tune on the car you want with and without flags. Tuning's what SBM specialise in anyway and work very closely with BMW DE. Problem solved. Easy.

Next!
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 07:03 AM   #21
Dabaitu
Colonel
 
Drives: anything given a chance
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: .au

Posts: 2,846
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
For those with the above valid concern, you could buy and install tune after warranty period finishes if it is a problem for anyone. No need to return to the dealer for service. Have SouthernBM (Melbourne) or your State's equivalent independent look after servicing from that time. Put any tune on the car you want with and without flags. Tuning's what SBM specialise in anyway and work very closely with BMW DE. Problem solved. Easy.

Next!
I'm not sure there was a problem to solve, but I'll give you +1 internet points anyway.
Dabaitu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,418
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabaitu View Post
the tuner codes that get flagged on your car. Yes, they exist.
What you posted. I agree. They do cause codes and might be a problem, hence waiting until your warranty period is over.
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST