F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 3-Series Sedan / F32 4-Series Coupe Forum > BMWUSA 2013 3 Series Configurator now LIVE, with F30 M Sport, xDrive, Activehybrid
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #155
MarkY
Private
 
Drives: 330Ci
Join Date: May 2005
Location: DC/MD/VA

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
Here is the interesting thing I found in my research yesterday though, Audi offers 1.9% financing up to 60months and 2.4 up to 72. I cant remember BMW ever doing that except for CPOs. They also do 1500 conquest cash for folks moving over from BMW. Decision not made by any means, but doing the due diligence it looks better to buy vs lease with Audi which is fine with me.
I think I remember BMW advertising finance rates at 1.9% a few years ago but that was contingent on paying MSRP. Although, maybe it was another manufacture.
MarkY is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #156
darksilkx1
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FL

Posts: 252
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
I think I remember BMW advertising finance rates at 1.9% a few years ago but that was contingent on paying MSRP. Although, maybe it was another manufacture.

They did have 1.9% as recently as last year on some models but only up to 36months. 37 to 59 was 2.9 and 60 above was 3.9.
__________________
darksilkx1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 12:45 PM   #157
Propagator
Captain
 
Drives: 2011 328i LMB 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CA

Posts: 808
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92miami View Post
Oh okay, I thought you were comparing the 335 to the 2.0t as long as you are talking about the 328 and the 2.0T then that's fine but for 55k that 328 is loaded. And are you willing to drive a FWD car...yikes. At that point I would look at Toyota too.
The whole point about this A6 discussion is that we will have a nicely equipped 2.0T with Quattro and the same ZF 8spd AT as the F30 for under $50K. That includes navigation, xenon, leather, voice control, keyless entry, handwriting pad, etc, etc.

I tried optioning out a 328i xDrive on bmwusa, and it seems that when similarly equipped the pricing will be very very close, and the Audi might even be slightly cheaper. Yes, the F30 will be somewhat more fun to drive and quicker, but the new A6 is also supposed to be quite sporty, and it certainly is a very nice looking car inside and out.
Propagator is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #158
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelphi, MD

Posts: 374
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
They did have 1.9% as recently as last year on some models but only up to 36months. 37 to 59 was 2.9 and 60 above was 3.9.
I got 0.9% on a 5 year. $1100 total interest. lol Spoiled. I'll never pay anything over 3% now.
adelphi_sky is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #159
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
 
PaulBailey@ltbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

Posts: 26,731
iTrader: (33)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to PaulBailey@ltbmw
Wish I would have waited to order the M-Sport.
PaulBailey@ltbmw is offline   Italy
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #160
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 5,953
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
Audi has better, streamline trim packages than BMW. This is non-negotiable.

Of course, I dont know why we're comparing the A6 to the F30, apples-to-oranges. When the 2013 A4 hits, it is going to have a lot of the interior goodies / MMI / infotainment that the A6 has and it seems that it will be cheaper. Man, if the S4 and the 335i Msport come in at the same price, it's hard to make a case for the 335i.
The S4 and 335i Msport do come in close in price.
The S4 starts higher, but it includes a lot of things you have to add to the 335i, and once added they are very close in price.

As for Msport, it's just cosmetic, you don't have to add it to the 335i to make it more competitive to the S4.

It's not hard to make a case for the 335i at all.
You either like the S4 or you like the 335i.
The S4 has tested faster than the 335i, and when the S4 is optioned with the LSD, it's handling rates better.

Again, you either like the S4 or the 335i.
I test drove both, I chose the 335i.
The S4 is a very sweet automobile. It didn't feel as good over all to me as the 335i does.
IN fact, I drove the S4 back to back with an A4 2.0T quattro sport.
The S4 is more powerful, and the dual clutch is MUCH better than the 8sp AT in the A4. But, I felt more comfortable in the A4's seats, and the A4 felt a bit more cohesive in ride and handling compared to the S4.
Strange, but that's how it felt to me.
I was expecting to like the S4 a LOT more, and really be blown away by it, as I had an 06 A4 2.0T sport and love it.
The S4 just didn't feel that special over the A4 other than the sweet SC engine and dual clutch.

Still, I prefer the 335i, others will prefer the S4.
Seems the S4 is more for you.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #161
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 5,953
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propagator View Post
If I told you that I would happily cross-shop a well equipped 328xi with a similarly equipped A6 2.0T for my wife if the prices were similar, would that make it ok to compare them? I do know that the A6 is meant to be a 5 series competitor, but if Audi is willing to be so aggressive with the pricing, why should I be all dogmatic about it and refuse to compare the two just because they are meant to be in different classes?

The fact is that the F30 has grown both in size and in character, while Audi has been making a steady march towards the sporty end of the spectrum. Given two German AWD sports sedans with electric steering, turbo-4, similar interior volume and even similar price, I think many people would cross-shop the two.

If you like the A6 and the 328i, and want to decide between the two, then by all means you can cross shop them. There is NO reason why one can't shop for different types of cars in order to see what they want.
I shopped sedans with coupes with convertibles from all manner of manufacturers.

As for the pricing differences, of course it's there.
However, BMW's resale is greater than Audi's. That's reflected in their respective residuals, which are set by the market.
A BMW may cost more than an Audi, but when you go to sell them later, you'll get difference back for the BMW, and may even do better, as it will lose less of it's value.
IN the end, the higher prices BMW will likely end up being a better value.
The question is, do you want to pay the initial cost up front?

As for leasing, there is NO question, BMW beats Audi all day long.
For the monthly I will be paying for my 335i Msport, I can only get a nicely optioned A4 2.0T quattro sport.
For leasing, it's clear that either 328i or 335i is the better lease, and that's also directly related to it's better residual.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 12:20 AM   #162
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 5,953
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfortin69 View Post
Since I'm on my 3rd HPFP and BMW NA lied to me about the first one when I called them out on the power loss. Thanks to their lies I'll be switching over to S4 as soon as I can, but my BMw ain't worth crap on a trade due to n54issues so I have dish out big bucks for a down payment now.... Thanks BmW from one pissed customer. Fat chance I'll buy another one.
The N54 did have HPFP issues.
I have an 09 135i.

However, your assertion that the 135i is "worth crap" due to the N54 "issues" is BS.
N54 resale is quite good, and it's holding it's value pretty well compared to any other brands competing with it.

As for those "issues", the HPFP has been resolved.
BMW issued an in house recall and replaced any N54 that came in asking for the replacement pump. Plus, BMW has given all N54's an extended 10yr-100/120K warranty to cover any potential future HPFP issue.
So far, the pump used for the recall has worked just fine.
HPFP failures are only coming from N54 cars that have not yet come to get the recall performed.

If you want proper value for your 135i, then don't trade it to an Audi dealer. Sell it privately. No one gets great value on a trade in, as most people expect near retail for their trade in, when trade in is more like wholesale. Don't blame BMW for that, blame the market.

If you want an S4, that's cool.
But, don't write BS about your BMW 135i.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 12:28 AM   #163
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 5,953
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJGreer View Post
I tend to agree. I have a psychological barrier to car price at about $55,000. It's hard for me to imagine spending more, even if my income supports it.

I've bought CPO in the past to afford the car I wanted, and that has been a good experience overall. This time around, though, I'm jonesing for an F32 335 xDrive coupe, so I'm three or four years out from having CPO access to one of those (at the age I target). Not sure my E60 will hold up another four years.

I don't know what I am going to do.
Why do you need to spend $55K for a 3?

I'm getting a 2013 335i Msport with premium and sport AT with HK audio, MSPR about $51K and selling for a bit under $48K.

Just because BMW has a plethora of high priced options, do you really need them?

If you want a greater level of options, then chose the 328i sport instead.
It's an excellent automobile with an impressive engine.

This whole notion that you have to spend $55K plus is bogus.
You can build a 3 for $55K and over, but certainly you don't have to, and you will still have all that BMW driving magic.

Last edited by RPM90; 06-30-2012 at 12:41 AM.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #164
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 5,953
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksilkx1 View Post
The 2.0T is getting Quattro and the 8spd ZF in 12.
It already has it, and I test drove it.
The AT in the Audi does not work as well as it does in the F30.
ZF still specs things according to manufacturer ordering the trans.

Looking at the gearing, Audi screwed up their final drive.
Trans drive gears are the same as that used in the F30, but final drive is taller, and that hurts the A4 2.0T in accel compared to the 328i.
They could have gone with a shorter final drive and probably beat the 328i in accel tests, but that would have hurt the MPG, which is not as good.
The A4 has to deal with greater weight and greater friction from the AWD.
As it is though, the A4 2.0T accel numbers are nearly the same as the 328i, even though the 2.0T has less HP.
I'm sure Audi is addressing this power and MPG issue, and will correct it favorably, soon. I love Audi's and I think we all benefit as Audi gets better and better and keeps nipping and biting BMW.
The A3 sedan will be a game changer, and BMW will be caught with it's pants down, at least for a while, until they realize they need a 1 series based sedan.
That A3 sedan looks VERY SWEET. I wish it were already here, I'd be shopping it.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #165
Ron Scott
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island

Posts: 631
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Why do you need to spend $55K for a 3?

I'm getting a 2013 335i Msport with premium and sport AT with HK audio, MSPR about $51K and selling for a bit under $48K.

Just because BMW has a plethora of high priced options, do you really need them?

If you want a greater level of options, then chose the 328i sport instead.
It's an excellent automobile with an impressive engine.

This whole notion that you have to spend $55K plus is bogus.
You can build a 3 for $55K and over, but certainly you don't have to, and you will still have all that BMW driving magic.
+1, and I'll go you one better: A base Sport 335i is $42.8.

If you need a car that polishes your toenails...WTF? The CAR is minus the accouterments of the modern age. If you forget leather, I'll-drive-for-you-"assist" bullshit, concert-hall/radio bullshit, AT, metal-in-paint, heat-my-ass-in-winter bullshit, etc., you can get an significantly upgraded "3", i.e., a 335i, for low $40ks.

Guys who claim they love the BMW thing and then load-up the lux crap on a 328 instead of buying a 335, or buy a lesser car, make me laugh. You people don't love the BMW ride, yuo love your polished toenails. Enjoy!
Ron Scott is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #166
WJGreer
Lieutenant
 
WJGreer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver

Posts: 435
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
+1, and I'll go you one better: A base Sport 335i is $42.8.

If you need a car that polishes your toenails...WTF? The CAR is minus the accouterments of the modern age. If you forget leather, I'll-drive-for-you-"assist" bullshit, concert-hall/radio bullshit, AT, metal-in-paint, heat-my-ass-in-winter bullshit, etc., you can get an significantly upgraded "3", i.e., a 335i, for low $40ks.

Guys who claim they love the BMW thing and then load-up the lux crap on a 328 instead of buying a 335, or buy a lesser car, make me laugh. You people don't love the BMW ride, yuo love your polished toenails. Enjoy!
Nice.
__________________
-Will
2013 535i xDrive M-Sport | 2005 545i Sport (Retired and missed) | 2001 X5 3.0 Sport (Retired)
WJGreer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #167
JustinTJ
I saw the light!
 
JustinTJ's Avatar
 
Drives: MY13 F30, MY02 E36/7
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jupiter, FL

Posts: 269
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
+1, and I'll go you one better: A base Sport 335i is $42.8.

If you need a car that polishes your toenails...WTF? The CAR is minus the accouterments of the modern age. If you forget leather, I'll-drive-for-you-"assist" bullshit, concert-hall/radio bullshit, AT, metal-in-paint, heat-my-ass-in-winter bullshit, etc., you can get an significantly upgraded "3", i.e., a 335i, for low $40ks.

Guys who claim they love the BMW thing and then load-up the lux crap on a 328 instead of buying a 335, or buy a lesser car, make me laugh. You people don't love the BMW ride, yuo love your polished toenails. Enjoy!
This makes me smile, as I agree.

But a base Sports 335 is 45,395 with the line and destination.
__________________
2013 335i F30 M Sport (ZMM, EBII, ZDH, ZTP, 2TB, 688) My ED Trip
2002 E36/7 Topaz Blue Roadster
BMWCCA Member ID: 456926
JustinTJ is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #168
ATX78703
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 996
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The S4 and 335i Msport do come in close in price.
The S4 starts higher, but it includes a lot of things you have to add to the 335i, and once added they are very close in price.

As for Msport, it's just cosmetic, you don't have to add it to the 335i to make it more competitive to the S4.

It's not hard to make a case for the 335i at all.
You either like the S4 or you like the 335i.
The S4 has tested faster than the 335i, and when the S4 is optioned with the LSD, it's handling rates better.

Again, you either like the S4 or the 335i.
I test drove both, I chose the 335i.
The S4 is a very sweet automobile. It didn't feel as good over all to me as the 335i does.
IN fact, I drove the S4 back to back with an A4 2.0T quattro sport.
The S4 is more powerful, and the dual clutch is MUCH better than the 8sp AT in the A4. But, I felt more comfortable in the A4's seats, and the A4 felt a bit more cohesive in ride and handling compared to the S4.
Strange, but that's how it felt to me.
I was expecting to like the S4 a LOT more, and really be blown away by it, as I had an 06 A4 2.0T sport and love it.
The S4 just didn't feel that special over the A4 other than the sweet SC engine and dual clutch.

Still, I prefer the 335i, others will prefer the S4.
Seems the S4 is more for you.
Actually, i'm a BMW guy and live in a place where i don't need AWD, so i will usually try to make the case for the bimmer. My point was more along the line of the S4 is marketed/positioned slightly higher than a 335i. In addition to the "exclusivity" factor (b/c it is quite a bit more rare than a 335i), Audi has distinguished it quite a bit from the A4 (lsd, dct, int/ext bits).

I think that gives the S4 more "value" which is why I was mentioning it in terms of price. I.e., if I'm paying 55-60K, i'd rather get an S4 than a 335i.
__________________
2014 335i RWD: ZMM, ZDA, ZDH, ZPP, ZTP, 2NH, 2TB, 5DL; Z4A MPPK; AW ext / VB int

2014 ML350: P01, R33, 297, 319, 846, 864, 889, 996; LB ext / AB int
ATX78703 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2012, 10:20 PM   #169
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 5,953
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX78703 View Post
Actually, i'm a BMW guy and live in a place where i don't need AWD, so i will usually try to make the case for the bimmer. My point was more along the line of the S4 is marketed/positioned slightly higher than a 335i. In addition to the "exclusivity" factor (b/c it is quite a bit more rare than a 335i), Audi has distinguished it quite a bit from the A4 (lsd, dct, int/ext bits).

I think that gives the S4 more "value" which is why I was mentioning it in terms of price. I.e., if I'm paying 55-60K, i'd rather get an S4 than a 335i.
That's true. The S4 does distinguish itself nicely over the A4.
The 335i is pretty much the 328i with a more powerful engine and different brakes.
Even the Msport doesn't distinguish itself from the sport line in any meaningful way.
In the least the Msport would have more "special" if BMW added the dynamic handling VSS and adaptive suspension and just increased the Msport price by about $500-$700. Yes, you can still get those things in other 3's, but it it's already included, that still makes for a more special package.
Heck even a LSD for the Msport would have made it "special".
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #170
ATX78703
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 996
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
That's true. The S4 does distinguish itself nicely over the A4.
The 335i is pretty much the 328i with a more powerful engine and different brakes.
Even the Msport doesn't distinguish itself from the sport line in any meaningful way.
In the least the Msport would have more "special" if BMW added the dynamic handling VSS and adaptive suspension and just increased the Msport price by about $500-$700. Yes, you can still get those things in other 3's, but it it's already included, that still makes for a more special package.
Heck even a LSD for the Msport would have made it "special".
+1 totally agree - hopefully an ///M performance line will fill that niche, but i'm sure it won't come cheap...
__________________
2014 335i RWD: ZMM, ZDA, ZDH, ZPP, ZTP, 2NH, 2TB, 5DL; Z4A MPPK; AW ext / VB int

2014 ML350: P01, R33, 297, 319, 846, 864, 889, 996; LB ext / AB int
ATX78703 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
3 series f30, 3 series f30 forum, 3 series forum, 3-series forum, bmw 3 series f30, bmw 3 series forum, bmw 3-series f30, bmw 3-series forum, bmw f30, bmw f30 3 series, bmw f30 3-series, bmw f30 forum, f30 3 series, f30 3 series forum, f30 3-series, f30 328i m sport, f30 335i m sport, f30 forum, f30 forums, f30 m sport, f30 m-sport

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST